•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sun in CaK first image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

I am just starting out in Solar Imaging, although I have been imaging deepsky and planets for the last 5 years. Here is my first shot, in CaK using an AT80ED telescope, Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge and a Baader CaK double stacked Solar Filter attached to my ASI294MC camera. Image taken using SharpCap 3.2 Pro, processed in Autostakkert!2 and wavelets in Registax 6.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sun_160229_g4_ap30.jpg

• SgrB2, hopskipson, torsinadoc and 2 others like this

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:08 PM

Not bad for a first attempt.  I'm a little surprised you captured some of the plage with such a wide bandpass filter waytogo.gif.  I purchased an Omega Ca K II on ebay and it has a slightly narrower bandpass.  I mainly use it to double stack my Lunt filter. What I found to be better was to match the sensor to scope.  With the 294 sensor at 393 nm wavelength you want to be closer to f/29 so a barlow may be worth a try.

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:25 PM

it is very successful for the first time.
thanks.

#4 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:03 PM

Not bad for a first attempt.  I'm a little surprised you captured some of the plage with such a wide bandpass filter waytogo.gif.  I purchased an Omega Ca K II on ebay and it has a slightly narrower bandpass.  I mainly use it to double stack my Lunt filter. What I found to be better was to match the sensor to scope.  With the 294 sensor at 393 nm wavelength you want to be closer to f/29 so a barlow may be worth a try.

How do you attach this filter? Is it screwed into the imaging camera? Do I need an ERF or Solar filter in the front of my refractor? Like I said in my report, I use the Lunt Herschel Wedge instead of a Solar filter and it all works out nice.

#5 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:17 AM

I used it screwed to the camera's nose piece BEHIND the Lunt Ca K line filter.  The Lunt has it's own ERF and blocking filter.  It helps minimally by providing a little contrast by darkening the view.  If you used it behind the wedge I think you would get the same results as the Baader you have.

I also have a wedge.  It might make an interesting experiment to see what if any difference it produces.  Unfortunately, lots of clouds for today. 

Here's a link to the filter on ebay: https://www.ebay.com...XYAAOSwEeFVGzDU

I can't recommend you buy it as my results didn't approach the image he was able to get, but to be fair maybe I didn't use it as described.

#6 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Is the purple color shown in advertisements added during/after processing?

#7 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

In the description it seems heโ€™s using a dslr so it might not be added color as with a mono camera. Most images you see on this forum are with mono cameras and the color is added in processing.

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Is the purple color shown in advertisements added during/after processing?

Post. Always. :)

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics