•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 5371 with fading supernova

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, NY

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:23 PM

It's been a while since I posted on this particular forum.  Moving and starting a new job cut down on my imaging time badly during the past two years.   I am finally getting some decent integration time, so it's good to have a galaxy image to share.

NGC 5371 (also called NGC 5390) is an 11th magnitude galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici near the Hickson 68 group. With apparent dimensions of 4.0' x 2.5', it is appropriate for imaging at larger focal lengths. NGC 5371 is a type SBc barred spiral, meaning it has loosely bound arms.  There are a lot of faint fuzzies in this part of the sky, which add to the appeal of this target.

This image captures the fading Supernova 2020bio, which was initially discovered in late January 2020 and reached magnitude 16 shortly thereafter. The data for this image were acquired on May 13, 20, and 21 of 2020, and the supernova had faded considerably. The location of the supernova is identified in the "B" revision on the Astrobin page. 

Part of the luminance data for this image and all of the RGB data were obtained from my back yard (Bortle 5), while the rest of the luminance subs were obtained from a good dark site (Bortle 3). 

Overall, I am happy with the way this one turned out.  It is not so easy to capture colors in this galaxy, judging by most of the images I have seen.  I took the RGB data from home with light pollution, so I was not expecting much, but the colors came out just fine.

get.jpg?insecure

• Mert, lambermo, buckeyestargazer and 7 others like this

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

Nicely done! The galaxy shows a lot of detail and the color is spot on. And you are correct about the number of fuzzies in the image - I stopped counting at 20.

My only negative comment is the haze around the brighter foreground stars. Maybe a little masking in PI or PS.

Edited by MikiSJ, 23 May 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#3 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, NY

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

The trouble with the stars in this field is that one of the really bright ones is very close to the galaxy.  Eliminating the halo around the orange star would take a bite out of the galaxy, unless you want to manually fudge the image around the star.  I decided not to mess with it in this case.  

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

Excellent image Ron! Thanks for sharing.

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

really pretty with crisp details.
thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics