•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

May 23, today's region of plage shot in H-alpha. Close UP.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Romania, Bucharest

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

Haze and turbulence but finally I shot some structures of the region.

PS Jpg.jpg

Edited by uranus7, 24 May 2020 - 06:26 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, SgrB2, philmor56 and 6 others like this

#2 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

Beautiful

• uranus7 likes this

#3 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:26 PM

Looks like art, nice detail

BD

• uranus7 likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:17 PM

like always , very nice work of art .

thanks 

• uranus7 likes this

#5 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:29 PM

Beautiful

Thank you, David.bow.gif waytogo.gif

Gabriel

#6 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:30 PM

Looks like art, nice detail

BD

Thanks, BD! waytogo.gif

Gabriel

#7 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:31 PM

like always , very nice work of art .

thanks 

Special thanks, sunnyday!   bow.gif bow.gif bow.gif

Gabriel

• sunnyday likes this

#8 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:24 AM

Very nice Gabriel.
  • uranus7 likes this

#9 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

Very nice Gabriel.

Thank you, John!  waytogo.gif bow.gif

CS

Gabriel

#10 bart1805

bart1805

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:21 AM

Hi Gabriel,
Interesting interpretation of the dynamics of the sun. This picture looks like it is processed in Sharpen AI in Topaz. The name of the file suggests that you used "Focus" in Sharpen AI twice. Topaz is a powerful tool, sometimes works better than other sharpening tools. But is has a major disadvantage: to high a value and these pencil like lines appear, that is even more easily achieved when using "Focus" in Sharpen AI instead of Sharpen. The masking tool in Sharpen AI is powerful too, that way you can process parts of the image and not the whole image to create depth. Normally you see a lot of noise when high values are used. But combined with DeNoise AI (also Topaz) you make it a bit more fluid again.
So to me this seems a picture not of the structures of the region, a lot of these structures are created by the tools used in postprocessing the image.
CS! Bart.

• rigel123 and MalVeauX like this

#11 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:20 AM

Hi Gabriel,
Interesting interpretation of the dynamics of the sun. This picture looks like it is processed in Sharpen AI in Topaz. The name of the file suggests that you used "Focus" in Sharpen AI twice. Topaz is a powerful tool, sometimes works better than other sharpening tools. But is has a major disadvantage: to high a value and these pencil like lines appear, that is even more easily achieved when using "Focus" in Sharpen AI instead of Sharpen. The masking tool in Sharpen AI is powerful too, that way you can process parts of the image and not the whole image to create depth. Normally you see a lot of noise when high values are used. But combined with DeNoise AI (also Topaz) you make it a bit more fluid again.
So to me this seems a picture not of the structures of the region, a lot of these structures are created by the tools used in postprocessing the image.
CS! Bart.

Sorry ... I don't know what you're talking about. Your impression remains your impression. I did what I could to get some features out of a sequence drawn through fog and turbulence. Honestly ... I'm not interested in your impression.

Gabriel

Edited by uranus7, 24 May 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#12 bart1805

bart1805

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

Sorry ... I don't know what you're talking about. Your impression remains your impression. I did what I could to get some features out of a sequence drawn through fog and turbulence. Honestly ... I'm not interested in your impression.

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,
You don't know what I am talking about? I think you do. You edited your original post, you removed the following sentence: Sharpeness AI was made to be used.
So my impression seems to be way more than just an impression.
CS! Bart.

#13 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

I guess it depends on what Gabriel is trying to achieve. If it is an attractive picture using the basis of data captured from the sun, then he has achieved his goal. If however it is to produce an accurate image of the sun’s surface within the restrictions imposed by image capture and processing then I would agree that there are many processing artefacts in the image and not much real data left.

As a picture it’s quite nice though.

• rigel123, uranus7, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#14 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:59 PM

I guess it depends on what Gabriel is trying to achieve. If it is an attractive picture using the basis of data captured from the sun, then he has achieved his goal. If however it is to produce an accurate image of the sun’s surface within the restrictions imposed by image capture and processing then I would agree that there are many processing artefacts in the image and not much real data left.

Thank you very much, Freddie. bow.gif waytogo.gif

I would like to say here, for everybody, that sometimes, capturing an area on the Sun can be a real tragedy (seeing and transparency very poor) so my only mission, finally, is to save as much as possible even at the risk of exaggerating a little by processing, but not to give up.

The problem is that I allow myself to do this, I have no remorse even if I am aware of what came out, because I know I can do much better in other conditions, and moreover, at the risk of being less modest, I know that I have a lot of experience and that the image does not represent my maximum value as an AP.
I know that those who already know me here and are not nasty, can "forgive" me in exchange for a (not easy) attempt of mine, to save something from that poor quality capture. So, any superfluous, mischievous comment here, does not impress me. I just wanted to show here, what can be seen, closer, in this area, on the Sun.

Who doesn't like the image, here, criticizes me in vain, because I already know what he might criticize ... maybe even more.

I am aware and I assumed. On the other hand, any processing of a capture is, more or less a personal interpretation of a real image, difficult to transpose as it is, and at an extraordinary quality, with the instruments available for amateurs.

Regards, smile.gif  

Gabriel

#15 bart1805

bart1805

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

I totally agree freddie. If it is intended as space art it depends on your taste wether you like it or not. If it is meant to be an accurate image than there are way to many artefacts.

If you make space art, be proud of it! So then there is totally no need to upload (after my first post where I mentioned that the name of the file suggests Topaz was used) the same image with another name so no one can see it is processed in Topaz. Or edit a post in which Sharpening AI is mentioned. And there is no need to make the suggestion with other images like this one that they are created by "removing the haze and revealing the real structures". 

• MalVeauX likes this

#16 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

I think it would be very interesting if you posted up the stacked but unprocessed version of this image to see if others could get something out of it without introducing quite so many artefacts.

• uranus7 likes this

#17 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:36 PM

I think it would be very interesting if you posted up the stacked but unprocessed version of this image to see if others could get something out of it without introducing quite so many artefacts.

Freddie,

wow, do you want to see diffuse, flat resulted images? smile.gif

I recently made another experience, here, offering a stream from a capture.
I had no interesting surprises, as result.

#18 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

Yes, I do want to see the unprocessed original for the reasons stated above!

#19 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

Yes, I do want to see the unprocessed original for the reasons stated above!

Compressed (the original has 4.79 Mb): 

125056_230520--_40 AP MS_lapl2_ap5812- JPG.jpg

#20 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

Got a slightly less compressed version? That’s only 48kb and you can post 500!

#21 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Uranus7, I think your work is first class, and I agree that processing is a personal preference.
Everyone’s work is unique and different as are opinions.

BD 

• uranus7 likes this

#22 uranus7

uranus7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

Uranus7, I think your work is first class, and I agree that processing is a personal preference.
Everyone’s work is unique and different as are opinions.

BD 

Thank you very much, BD. smile.gif bow.gif

Much appreciating your comment. 

Cheers, waytogo.gif

Gabriel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics