•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZMP Mount Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

Last night I turned on my AZMP with a C6 and dew shield on the mount.  It was the first time with the shield and before I realized what was happening the dew shield hit one of the legs.  After that it took several attempts to sync the mount.  Finally cancelled the stored info and started again and it synced fine. 

However when I slewed to a new target it would not track smooth, jerking steps every 1/2 second or so with a clicking sound.  This was at 167x, very noticeable.  After about a minute it would settle down to smooth tracking.

Any ideas as to what is going?

Edited by dhkaiser, 23 May 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#2 imtl

imtl

Ranger 4

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

Did you check that after hitting the leg everything was still balanced? Hitting the leg might have caused a shift in balancing which will cause what you were experiencing. 

Did you turn off the mount and did calibration again? 

• dhkaiser likes this

#3 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

Did you check that after hitting the leg everything was still balanced? Hitting the leg might have caused a shift in balancing which will cause what you were experiencing. 

Did you turn off the mount and did calibration again? 

Yes I did turn off and on several times until I erased the calibration and started over.  Your right about the balance, I did remove the dew shield and did not think to rebalance.  Good point.  I will be sure to remember that next time.  Storms here now so don't know when that will be.

#4 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

Used the AZMP today for some solar observing, calibrated well and no problems.  Ordered the MiniPier so there will no long be a danger of hitting the tripod legs.  Love this mount!

#5 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Glad you dodged a bullet! 

Ah, how did the dew shield hit a tripod leg? Scope upside down? 

#6 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

Glad you dodged a bullet! 

Ah, how did the dew shield hit a tripod leg? Scope upside down? 

The mount goes through a calibration routine when powered up, does a full 360 in az and alt.  After that it points to a bright star and you center and confirm.  It then is ready to goto.  My first alt/az mount and I think it's great.

#7 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:25 PM

That's odd. Both my samples of the Pro did a 360 dance in azimuth only. Altitude calibration was a subtle rocking back and forth (5 degrees max each way). After the 360 trip, they would pause, think about it, beep and then proceed to the calibration target. Even Ioptron's videos don't show a somersault in ALT. 

#8 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:01 AM

That's odd. Both my samples of the Pro did a 360 dance in azimuth only. Altitude calibration was a subtle rocking back and forth (5 degrees max each way). After the 360 trip, they would pause, think about it, beep and then proceed to the calibration target. Even Ioptron's videos don't show a somersault in ALT. 

Don't know what to say, that is what mine does.  Different software version?

• dustyc likes this

#9 vincentv

vincentv

Vostok 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

I have seen both behaviors with mine. The 360 degree rotation in alt is the mount looking for the straight up position. The thing is that it will only move downwards to find it so you get a full rotation. If you place the scope looking slightly "backwards", i.e. get it vertical and then move a couple of degrees past vertical, the mount will swing forward only enough to find 90*.

• dhkaiser likes this

#10 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

I have seen both behaviors with mine. The 360 degree rotation in alt is the mount looking for the straight up position. The thing is that it will only move downwards to find it so you get a full rotation. If you place the scope looking slightly "backwards", i.e. get it vertical and then move a couple of degrees past vertical, the mount will swing forward only enough to find 90*.

Good to know, thanks.

#11 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Don't know what to say, that is what mine does.  Different software version?

Yeah probably. Ioptron releases updates often. I refreshed mine at least twice to fix issues. But it never did a somersault in ALT. I started the routine with the scope pointing at the zenith and the bubble level side facing due south.

I can see the entertainment value in seeing it spin 360 in both axis while starting up. laugh.gif

• Xeroid likes this

#12 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:58 PM

Yes, It was really exciting watching the ALT axis do a 360 with my 45" long 130mm refractor..

eeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooowwwwww!! 

shocked.gif

#13 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

If your altitude axis is pointed slightly below zero (i.e. nose down) when the mount is started up, it will begin the calibration dance by turning the scope objective down. If the altitude is pointed slightly up, it will turn the objective up to zenith. I learned this by trial and error, it is not in the manual.
I have made it a practice to store the mount between uses with the altitude axis pointed slightly up to avoid losing an eyepiece on the next startup.

Edited by Spikey131, 25 May 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#14 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

Manual (mine at least) states to start calibration routine with bubble level side facing south, objective end pointing towards zenith, and above all, level level level the mount for best tracking and go-to. 

Oh well, another eye raiser.

#15 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

I find it inconvenient to mount my scopes vertically.  

I guess I could mount the horizontally, turn the mount on, bypass the automatic calibration, point the scopes to the zenith and then turn the mount off and back on.  This is also inconvenient.

Seems easier to just make sure the altitude axis is pointed up a little at shutdown so I am ready to go for the next time.  Actually, at the end of each sessions, I just pick a star due South and just above the horizon and hit GOTO.  This puts it in position for the next time.

• dhkaiser likes this

#16 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:56 AM

Finally figured out another way to do it last night (wow, hot and muggy here!)

I place the AZ Pro in "Zero Position" right before I shutdown then unlock the ALT. clutch, rotate the saddle so the scope is horizontal, lock the clutch then remove the scope (its 17 lbs!).

Next night I load the scope onto the horizontal saddle, unlock the ALT clutch, rotate it to a VERTICAL position THEN power on, no 360 rotate on the ALT axis.

Hit the BACK key, slew over to Arcturus, hit SYNC TO TARGET, then slew to M13... BAM!

My goodness, its full of stars!

• Chesterguy1 and dhkaiser like this

#17 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

I had a similar thing happen with mine a year or more ago. My 120mm refractor slipped slightly in the clamp. It didn't drop all the way down, but the ALT would not function due to the weight imbalance. Turned it off rebalance an all has been fine since. I do have the pier--a must with longer refractors.

Chesterguy

• Xeroid likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics