•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found out the hard way!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

O.K. all you ASIAIR PRO users. I was photographing M101 the other night. I got about four hours of it....or so I thought. The image look really very good on my tablet with the pictures in the Autorun mode. I would check the images every 8 to 10 frames or so and all seemed very good. The next day I went to stack them with DSS. NO GO. The images were no good and wouldn't stack! Don't know if the gain was set to low or conditions were not right? This is my warning to others new users. The pictures you see on your lap top, tablet, phone or computer are only a very small JPEG image NOT the FIT files. I'm thinking if I lived stacked them I would have been better off because I don't think they would have stacked. At least I would have known something was up and not wasted a whole night. Just a heads up.

I do have a QUESTION: Does the meridian flip work in the live stack mode on the Pro model or only on the Autorun mode??

Edited by madeinusa, 23 May 2020 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:47 PM

What's wrong with them? Did you try to view them (the .FITS files)? 

#3 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

Yes. I think DSS was not seeing enough stars to stack. I do see what I consider usable data and can make out M101 but when I go to the star detection threshold in DSS I'm not picking up a lot of stars. I did some light  processing on some dimer starts to bring them out and brought the star count up to 68 stars. After putting in my light, dark, flat and bias frames I get this message.

" The checked pictures are not compatible (with, height, number or color, number of channels, only one master dark, offset and flat"

I have no idea what that is telling me to do??

#4 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

If you can see stars in autorun mode where the asiair automatically shows a stretched jpeg of the fit file, then DSS should be able to recognize those stars and stack. 

By chance, are you adding the jpeg files into DSS along with the FITS?

Edited by Cometeer, 23 May 2020 - 05:37 PM.

#5 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:50 PM

If you can see stars in autorun mode where the asiair automatically shows a stretched jpeg of the fit file, then DSS should be able to recognize those stars and stack. 

By chance, are you adding the jpeg files into DSS along with the FITS?

No I'm not. Like I said the jpeg files looked really good. My suggestion would be first live stack a few than go to autorun if you like to make sure. 

Meridian flip question in live stack mode??  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics