•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So many firsts...

astrophotography beginner CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khursh

khursh

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

While this is not strictly my first attempt at imaging, it is definitely my first attempt at doing it 'the hard way'. I have been doing EAA, and live stacking images in SharpCap. Honestly, the images come out pretty nice considering all the processing is done on the fly. I could subtract dark and flat frames (with bias) as it live stacked. A little noise reduction as it stacked as well as histogram stretch and voila. 

BUT, I decided I wanted to take the plunge and learn SGPro because I want to sleep. We are heading toward summer and even at my modest latitude of 38 and a half degrees, the skies aren't dark until 10. I'm old and need my sleep. I bought and learned SGPro with OSC over the last couple of days. I got it working and even did a meridian flip. I watched it, because I am the nervous type. As soon as I saw it happen, I was satisfied and went to sleep. I awoke the next morning to a (not quite complete) stack of images. The last image was foggy, so I guess I got some dew and SGPro shut it down because PHD2 couldn't find a guide star. I managed a little over 2 out of the 3 hours I 'scheduled'.

THEN, I had to take a crash course in processing. I stacked in DSS which is very straightforward, and then processed a little in GIMP. There is a ton of noise because its only 1.5 hours of useable frames. I will try to add a few more hours tonight. I did do a master dark and flat, but the flat is definitely no bueno because I got weird corners. I cropped them out.

https://astrob.in/0u4hry/0/

Just for giggles, I am also including a SharpCap version:

Stack 34frames 2040s WithDisplayStretch

60s subs x 34 for a total of 34 minutes

• eros312, bobzeq25 and wxcloud like this

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:24 PM

This is outstanding for so many firsts.  Nice!

• khursh likes this

#3 khursh

khursh

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Wade. I stand on the shoulders of giants including yourself. 

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

A fine start.

Flats won't work well unless you also do either bias or flat darks.  Math.

#5 khursh

khursh

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

More everything.

More data: 5.6 hours.

More calibration frames - lights, darks, flats, bias, dark flats.

A little more processing in GIMP again...

and

get.jpg?insecure

By the way, 

Orion EON 120mm @f/6 with Orion reducer/corrector

IOptron CEM60

ASI533MC Pro @ -5C

120s x 169 frames = 5.6 hours. (Stacked best 80% so more like 4.5 hours?)

Edited by khursh, 24 May 2020 - 05:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics