•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AISAIR or SynScan WIFI Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

I have the EQ6-R Pro. One WIFI adapter is $200 and one is $65.

Obviously the ASIAIR has an entire suite of software and can automate a lot of stuff, but if I intend to use automation software like SGP, NINA, or PHD2, is there any real reason to buy the ASIAIR?

Or is the ASIAIR more targeted to new AP players that want an intuitive interface without all the bells and whistles?

#2 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

ASIAIR is a system including two components, the ASIAIR hardware device, and the ASIAIR App which runs on iOS/Android devices.  It is a closed system (RPi, Linux, Select INDI devices) and does not work with software such as SGP, NINA, ASCOM on Windows PC.

So if your intent is to use Windows, ASCOM, SGP, NINA, etc, than NO, no reason to get the AIR, they are not compatible.

The AIR gives more or less complete functionality without the need for a Windows PC or any other device except your iOS/Android phone (yuck too small) or Tablet.  More or less complete functionality being: GoTo, Platesolving, Guiding, Focus, Simple Sequencing, Live Stacking including Bias, Flat, Dark.  Limited to ZWO Camera‚Äôs, ZWO Focuser, and ZWO Filterwheels, and INDI compatible mounts.

I use a Windows PC (MS Surface Pro), running N.I.N.A. (PHD2) for my main imaging rig which while using ZWO Cameras (ASI2600 & ASI290mini), also uses non-ZWO equipment (Flip-Flat, Rotator, Focuser) all on a CEM40 with iPolar.  (The AIR will not support the non-ZWO equipment or iPolar)

I use the ASIAIR Pro to control my portable grab-n-go rig and works extremely well.  Redcat on AZGTi, with all ZWO equipment. ASI294, EFW, EAF, ASI290mini OAG.

Point is, the ASIAIR has no place in the world of Windows, ASCOM, SGP, NINA, etc.

Redcat 51 / AZGTi

Edited by davidparks, 24 May 2020 - 11:55 AM.

• KTAZ likes this

#3 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

The ASIAir is mostly useful when no other computer is being used. If you will be using a PC for acquisition then you can do everything the ASIAir does and more using the PC.

#4 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the confirmation!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics