•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All Sky Plate Solver problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

Hello all,

I have been using ASPS and I works well but I want to relocated the index files to an alternate drive as the are so big and my primary drive is full.

There is a config file - backend.cfg that allows you to specify a folder or folders that contain the index files.

It seems that the ASPS GUI does NOT read this file but always uses the default folder. The Astrometry.net backend programs do read the config file.

So if I relocated the files, the GUI cannot function as it can't find the index files and I need the GUI in order to set the focal length and pixel size.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks

Dave

#2 stevezeer

stevezeer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:52 PM

Hello All

I downloaded All Sky Plate Solver recently but can’t seem to get it to work in Astrophotography Tool. I have two test shots that I used for calibration in the settings assistant, one at 582mm and one at 790mm both with the same Cannon DSLR (pixel size 4.29). If I load the test files into plate solver it does solve the image but comes back with astrometry results of pixel size 8.58 yet if I change the pixel size to be 8.58 in the plate solver settings it won’t plate solve the image. Why is this happening?

Also in Astrophotography Tool while trying a blind plate solve with the same test images it verbally tells me “image solved” but the log shows “can’t read solving results".

Any suggestion for a solution?

I know there are a lot of you smarter than me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks    Steve

#3 niktnowy

niktnowy

Lift Off

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

Did you link database from ATP to location in your computer? When you press Point Craft -Settings - There is a path for you to specify - something like that -[C:\Program Files (x86)\PlateSolver]

You can check this -http://www.astrogb.c...ate_Solver.html

\

#4 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:48 PM

Hello All

I downloaded All Sky Plate Solver recently but can’t seem to get it to work in Astrophotography Tool. I have two test shots that I used for calibration in the settings assistant, one at 582mm and one at 790mm both with the same Cannon DSLR (pixel size 4.29). If I load the test files into plate solver it does solve the image but comes back with astrometry results of pixel size 8.58 yet if I change the pixel size to be 8.58 in the plate solver settings it won’t plate solve the image. Why is this happening?

Are you confusing image scale and pixel size?

#5 stevezeer

stevezeer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Gents

But I don't think this is my problem. 

My plate solver path is C:\Program Files (x86)\PlateSolver and it is loaded correctly into Point Craft settings in ATP.

My image scale is 1.51 arc sec/Pixel for 584mm scope and 1.12 for the 790mm scope so this does not correspond at all to pixel size of 8.58 (exactly double the spec sheet value of 4.29). This is a color Cannon 700d DSLR.

To be clear I used the settings assistance in ASPS to obtain focal length (790mm) and image scale (1.12) using a JPG test image. I used the results to update the settings.

If I open just ASPS with the same file I used for calibration it will plate solve the image but it gives me astrometry results of 8.58 pixel size and a focal length that is only 2mm off the setting assistance value (probably OK on focal length).

If I go into ATP and try to plate solve the very same image used in calibration it will fail by saying "can't read solving results".

Does't make sense.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics