•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

When to clean my RC-10?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern New England

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

So, a couple of weeks ago I was running a long imaging sequence, and while I was indoors bingeing on Big Bang Theory, it went from clear to raining in about 90 min, and it rained into my 'scope while I was imaging M51 (which was very high in the sky at the time). I covered it as soon as I noticed the rain, and uncovered it, drained it out (yes, some water ran out) and dried everything out the next morning, but now I have a LOT of water spots on the primary. How do I know if it's bad enough to risk reaching down the tube to clean the primary? Right now, I can't see anything on my frames, but am not totally sure what I would be looking for. I don't think I'll have to disassemble anything to reach down past the secondary, so it should be low risk, but is it worth the effort?

#2 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:15 AM

You won’t see anything on your frames from water spots. Think of it as if your scope just from a 10” to a 9.95” aperture. You’ll just have a tiny bit of light loss, and perhaps a tiny bit of contrast loss. Nothing to worry about aside from the fact it will nag at you.

Is your mount OK? Camera? No damage to the electronics from being out in the rain? That’s the bigger risk.

#3 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern New England

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, I was more worried about the electronics than the optics, but they seem to be fine. I made sure to dry them out before powering back on, and all seems good with the camera, laptop, guider, etc.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics