•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Camera with Meade 70mm APO

astrophotography beginner CMOS equipment Meade refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hello everyone, 

I'm relatively new to this hobby, so please forgive my ignorance. 

I'm wanting to purchase a ZWO ASI294MC-Pro camera, but I'm confused as to how I could attach the camera with a filter to my Meade 70mm Quad Apo. I've only used DSLR filters so far, so I don't know much about screw-in 2" filters. Would I need to purchase a filter drawer/wheel or would the filter thread directly into the image train? The Meade has a 42mm screw adapter included for t-rings, but I'm not sure how I would run the ZWO camera with a filter on this telescope without buying a filter drawer. I live in Japan so I almost always need CLS filters (only one dark sky spot around that's 2 hours away).

Sorry for the dumb question, but any help or pointers would be very helpful. 

Thanks. 

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:17 PM

If you had a 2" flattener I would say the inside of the flattener would be threaded for the filter.  Your Quad Apo probably doesn't have a flattener.

How does the Meade has a 42mm screw adapter included for t-rings  attach to the scope?  These things often have a M48x0.75 thread on them, which is the size of a 2" thread.

Threads explained.

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:25 PM

The 294 comes with a M42 to 1.25” filter thread adapter. This screws inside the black ring at the front of the camera. Then the camera is then screwed onto the M42 threads of your scope. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, equipment, Meade, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics