•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Purchasing a DGM NPB filter

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

I was out at a very dark site in Southern Utah on Thursday night, and I got my first glimpses of the Lagoon Nebula, the Trifid Nebula, the Eagle Nebula, and the Omega Nebula. Even though they were low in the sky (I didn't stay up much past midnight), they looked great. However, it got me wondering, how much could they be improved? It's a pretty bright part of the sky, and perhaps more detail could be seen with more contrast, i.e. with a nebula filter. I'd been planning on getting a filter for some time, as I'll be moving to Georgia this summer for graduate school and it'll be much harder to get to dark skies. I'd like to get a DGM Optics NPB Nebula filter. I'm not entirely certain about the security of the website selling this filter, however. Here's a link: www.npbfilters.com Has anyone purchased directly from this website and can verify that this is reputable? Also, I think I'd only like one filter (for now). Would I be able to see more if I just went for an O-III filter? I should mention I have a 10" Dob. Thanks

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:41 PM

I was out at a very dark site in Southern Utah on Thursday night, and I got my first glimpses of the Lagoon Nebula, the Trifid Nebula, the Eagle Nebula, and the Omega Nebula. Even though they were low in the sky (I didn't stay up much past midnight), they looked great. However, it got me wondering, how much could they be improved? It's a pretty bright part of the sky, and perhaps more detail could be seen with more contrast, i.e. with a nebula filter. I'd been planning on getting a filter for some time, as I'll be moving to Georgia this summer for graduate school and it'll be much harder to get to dark skies. I'd like to get a DGM Optics NPB Nebula filter. I'm not entirely certain about the security of the website selling this filter, however. Here's a link: www.npbfilters.com Has anyone purchased directly from this website and can verify that this is reputable? Also, I think I'd only like one filter (for now). Would I be able to see more if I just went for an O-III filter? I should mention I have a 10" Dob. Thanks

I have both the 1.25” and 2” models and they are excellent filters, both came to Canada via their website without any problems security or otherwise !  Clear filtered skize !

• havasman and Tangerman like this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:02 PM

Website's legit. It just looks funky. Filter's very good.

• Steve Cox and Tangerman like this

#4 kauschovar

kauschovar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:04 PM

I'm not entirely certain about the security of the website selling this filter, however. Here's a link: www.npbfilters.com Has anyone purchased directly from this website and can verify that this is reputable?

I ordered mine from Telescopes.net. Here's a link to the 2-inch: https://telescopes.n...ula-filter.html.

I can't vouch for npbfilters.com. If it is indeed operated by DGM Optics, you probably wouldn't have any issues. If it's the security of submitting payment information that you're worried about, note that "add to cart" sends you to PayPal, which is secured with HTTPS.

However, I only see a 1.25+2 combo set on npbfilters.com. So my advice would be to save money by ordering only the size you need from another retailer.

Edited by kauschovar, 23 May 2020 - 10:04 PM.

• Tangerman likes this

#5 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:24 PM

I own four different DGM filters (1.25" dia). I had no problem ordering directly, aside from a small production issue he was having at the time (as I recall, about three or four years ago) for one of them. (I think it was the NPB, which had just been redesigned or something a the time, and they were having a production issue with the deposition process..long since resolved now..) 

Not sure what his ordering policy is today. An email to DGM would resolve that.

kick me cuz I forgot his name, but a very nice guy too.

http://www.dgmoptics.com/index.htm

Edited by xiando, 23 May 2020 - 10:28 PM.

• LDW47 and Tangerman like this

#6 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies! Good to know their website is legit - and that I'm redirected to Paypal. They have some cosmetic seconds on their website that I can't find elsewhere for $110. If they didn't have those, I might go for an Orion Ultrablock instead.

• xiando likes this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:48 PM

I have all of the DGM filters, one each of the big ones and a pair of each of the small ones. They are great filters at great price!    Tom

#8 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies! Good to know their website is legit - and that I'm redirected to Paypal. They have some cosmetic seconds on their website that I can't find elsewhere for $110. If they didn't have those, I might go for an Orion Ultrablock instead.

I have both the NPB and Orion Ultrablock. Actually thinking of selling the Orion, after comparing the two.

#9 stoest

stoest

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:14 PM

I purchased my NPB filters from that website and everything was totally legit and done professionally.  Great filter too!

• mrsjeff likes this

#10 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:13 AM

You could always buy from Don Pensack who is a regular here. His service has always been excellent when I’ve bought from him. That’s where I got my DGM NPB from.

https://www.eyepiece..._p/14502010.htm

• xiando likes this

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

You could always buy from Don Pensack who is a regular here. His service has always been excellent when I’ve bought from him. That’s where I got my DGM NPB from.

https://www.eyepiece..._p/14502010.htm

I think the OP is looking for the CS line (Cosmetic Seconds) @ $110 which only Shane offers directly from the Website.

#12 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

Made the purchase last night! I'm curious to see just how much improvement I'll notice on these emission nebulae, and if I start using my telescope more without traveling to a dark site.

#13 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

Excellent!  We look forward to hearing what you think of it.  
Everyone’s taste is different, and that may be especially true for filters.  I have quite a few different ones, for different purposes, but if I could have only one it would be the NPB.  Definitely my favourite.  
Enjoy!

• junomike likes this

#14 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

I think the OP is looking for the CS line (Cosmetic Seconds) @ $110 which only Shane offers directly from the Website.

Oh, I missed that part.

#15 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Another question. I've read that an OIII filter is most recommended for things like the Veil, has anyone seen the Veil with the DGM NPB filter?

#16 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

I have viewed the Veil with a  DGM NPB through my 8" dob and AR102. I have also viewed it with an OIII. The nebula itself might be a bit more apparent with the OIII, but I prefer the red stars with the NPB to the green stars using the OIII. 

#17 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

I use both an NPB and Lumicon O-III interchangeably in my filter slide.  Both give different and much-improved views over non-filtered.

• Steve Cox likes this

#18 stoest

stoest

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

Another question. I've read that an OIII filter is most recommended for things like the Veil, has anyone seen the Veil with the DGM NPB filter?

I started viewing the Veil using the NPB filter and it's a very big improvement over no filter, it's just not as good as my Lumicon  Gen3 Oiii.   Don't hesitate to use the NPB on nebula traditionally considered Oiii targets it will vastly improve most of them just not as much as a quality Oiii.  I used my NPB on the Veil and other planetaries for a couple years before getting the Oiii and was very happy with it's performance on them.

#19 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

Yes, I own both the NPB and their O-III.  While I find the NPB the best or in the top 2 or 3 for narrowband filters, I'd suggest either a Lumicon or Astronomik O-III.  The DGM O-III while good, is not that good for the price IMO; and it's too close in performance to the NPB.  I really use just the NPB anymore, since I don't spend much time looking at Planetary Nebula, and the NPB does have a halfway decent H-Beta passband.

#20 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

I have the DGM NPB and OIII as well as the Lumicon NPB and OIII. I prefer the pinkish cast stars get in DGM to the cyan hue from Lumicon; YMMV.

I never knew why M17 was called the Swan Nebula until I got my first NPB filter (the Lumicon) - WOW!!! Up until then, I'd really only ever perceived a cigar-shaped nebula. Many nebulae - M8, M27, M42, many more - will really please you. In my skies, the Helix Nebula (NGC 7293) is basically invisible without one of these filters. Some other of the lower SB PNs are also nicely enhanced by these filters.

And speaking of M27 - when high in the sky so little atmosphere, the DGM NPB lets it shine out prettily; but the OIII shows it as positively 3-D!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics