•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT10g Owners - Post Your Photos and Experiences

dob reflector Orion
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:59 PM

I've not found too much in the way of threads on this specific scope so I'm starting this one in hopes that those of us who own one (and we may indeed be few) can share our experiences with and photos of our scope.

Mine (photos below) has a few few upgrades/mods that I made before I took it out for its first night under the stars...

• Center spotted the primary with Catseye's Hotspot (already have set of their collimation tools)
  • Installed Protostar FlockBoard along the full length of the tube
  • Replaced the focuser with a Moonlight CR focuser
  • Added a couple Farpoint lifting straps
  • Added Bob's Knobs to the secondary holder.

So far I'm happy with it.  There was an initial issue with the azimuth axis being too stiff, I mean really too stiff, to move manually but Orion has promised to send me a new one and I was able to improve this one a bit.  The hand controller also had a problem with buttons not always registering but again, Orion sent a replacement and so far it's working.  

I've got the Starseek WiFi module on the way and I'm anxious to see how that works out.  If anyone is using that with SkySafari I'd like to know as I have a question.  

Here's mine...

XT10g-1.jpg

XT10g-2.jpg

XT10g-3.jpg

• Lewis Cason, Starman81, contrailmaker and 2 others like this

#2 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:39 PM

Nobody? Really?

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:36 AM

Dave, nice setup. I used the StarSeek with my XT12g and liked it a lot. What did you want to know.

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

Dave, nice setup. I used the StarSeek with my XT12g and liked it a lot. What did you want to know.

Hi Allan.  First of all, thank you for the reply.  I'm certain there are other XT10g owners out there so I'm surprised this thread hasn't received any other replies.   Anyway...

My question regarding the StarSeek has been mostly answered by my own playing around with it.  I wanted to know whether or not you could used it to select objects for observing (GoTo) via The StarSeek app and then once found, use the hand controller's directional buttons for moving around/centering.   It does indeed seem that you can.  

Did you use the StarSeek app?  I've been told that you can also used SkySafari as they appear to be the same program but I've not been able to get SkySafari to connect to the StarSeek WiFi.

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:18 PM

Did you make the light shield? I have a similar one that uses a strap, but I like yours much better.

#6 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

Did you make the light shield? I have a similar one that uses a strap, but I like yours much better.

No, Steve I got it from a vendor (who's name I can't recall now) who had several items kind of specifically for Zhumell dobs.  They sold the "milk bottle" washers, knobs for the secondary, springs for the primary cell, etc, and of course, this shield.  It's flexible plastic with a felt liner.  it has notches that line up with the spider so it sort of snaps in.  

#7 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

Hi Allan.  First of all, thank you for the reply.  I'm certain there are other XT10g owners out there so I'm surprised this thread hasn't received any other replies.   Anyway...

My question regarding the StarSeek has been mostly answered by my own playing around with it.  I wanted to know whether or not you could used it to select objects for observing (GoTo) via The StarSeek app and then once found, use the hand controller's directional buttons for moving around/centering.   It does indeed seem that you can.  

Did you use the StarSeek app?  I've been told that you can also used SkySafari as they appear to be the same program but I've not been able to get SkySafari to connect to the StarSeek WiFi.

I used Sky Safari with the StarSeek module. I don’t recall having any trouble connecting it. I don’t have that dob anymore. If the StarSeek app is just a rebranded Sky Safari, sounds like it doesn’t matter too much.

I used a friends XT10g a bit and thought it was great. Side by side with the 12” there wasn’t a huge difference, but still noticeable. There was quite a difference in size and weight between the two dobs though.

There’s so many improvements you can make to these dobs. Upgrading the secondary to an Antares Optics was the best money I spent on the 12”. An upgrade to a Zambuto and fully flocking the tube were also good improvements.

#8 sw196060

sw196060

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

How is the tracking?   Is it smooth for high-mag viewing of planets?

#9 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

How is the tracking?   Is it smooth for high-mag viewing of planets?

Haven't done any high magnification observing yet.  At lower magnifications (<150x) it's fine.

#10 donsinger

donsinger

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:57 PM

I have the xt8g and love it as well....still stock after a year but plan some upgrades too

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, reflector, Orion

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics