•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Isosceles Triangle on the Horizon at Sunset

moon planet observing report
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:39 AM

I was just out walking the dog. As the sun was setting before I left, I noticed the sliver of a moon and Venus on the horizon; once I made it down the street, I noticed a star to the right of the moon that formed an isosceles triangle with the moon and Venus. Sure enough, it was Mercury:

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.03.10 PM.png

It seems like that little bugger is a PITA to find when I want to, but then turns up when I least expect it!

Cheers,

BQ

• Dave Mitsky, Jon Isaacs, Carol L and 8 others like this

#2 jaraxx

jaraxx

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:43 AM

You'd need a high altitude spy plane to see it from my house the last two nights.

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:27 AM

You'd need a high altitude spy plane to see it from my house the last two nights.

Ha! Fortunately, the Outback horizon is pretty low. Venus was kissing the ground when I finally saw Mercury!

BQ

#4 PNW

PNW

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

That looks a lot like the infamous smiley face. Good work.

#5 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

I saw it last evening driving back from delivering a telescope I sold a fellow astronomer in San Jose, CA, but I knew for sure that the Moon was the lowest of the three, since it was almost obscured by fog hugging the coast.

With the tree branch in the picture correctly oriented, I thought for a second then realized what was up (or down!).

I enjoy checking out locations of fellow astronomers on Google Earth, but I gotta say I can't think of a more appropriate name for a place...it looks red and it's in the center!

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

I viewed the trio some 12 hours earlier, at sunset in North America. The ultrathin, 1.6%-illuminated, 1.3-day-old Moon was the star of the show, together with a spectacularly lit cloud band below. It was really hard to pick up without optical aid -- one of those cases where one uses Venus to find the Moon. I wish I had thought to bring my camera ...

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:03 PM

I looked last night (Saturday) but could not see the moon. The price of being in town again and having neighbors with houses.. 

Jon

#8 spereira

spereira

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

Moving to Solar System Observing, for a better fit.

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, planet, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics