•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will a camera tripod serve for an AT72EDII mount?

mount refractor
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jmccown

jmccown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

I'm not ready to buy yet, but I want a small, compact refractor and mount that I can easily travel with. Perhaps an AT72EDII or the equivalent Skywatcher.

I can't count the number of times I've been away from home and said "I wish I had my telescope". But lugging around a big, sturdy Alt-Az or equatorial mount is not an option. Will the AT72EDII work well with a lightweight camera tripod, or does it need something sturdier?

Or, should I set my sights to a smaller scope like an AT60ED?

Any recommendations for a lightweight, portable tripod?

Thanks.

• Rollo likes this

#2 geordanr

geordanr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

I use a Leofoto LS-324C and Stellarvue M1V with my AT72EDII for my ultraportable travel setup.  Works really well.

• jmccown likes this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

My favorite mount for a small refractor is the B9gen 3040, it's a 3046 tripod with a 3047 head. I mount the scope "side saddle."  There are Manfrotto equivent numbers but new, you're  looking at about $500. 

I keep my eye peeled on the local Craigslist,  I see them for under $100. 

AT-72 on Bogen with eyepieces CN.jpg

Jon

• Moondust, russell23 and jmccown like this

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

I think telescopes smaller than 3” (76mm) have limited usefulness at magnifications needed to see details on the planets.  So the 72 would be preferred over the 60 for general astronomy.

Here is my travel setup:  TV76, Skywatcher AZ/GTI, Gitzo Traveler 2 Tripod.  The scope, eyepieces and accessories go in a backpack that fits under an airline seat, and the tripod and mount in carry on luggage.  You could certainly achieve similar results with some carefully chosen less expensive components.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EBD3398-25B3-4EBF-8A57-B8EB0260C3C7.jpeg
  • 3B8583AA-C499-4DC0-B407-3755F030E1CB.jpeg
  • BDF092DC-A670-44A8-B714-0ACB7638B575.jpeg

• Moondust and jmccown like this

#5 jmccown

jmccown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

You've got a deluxe travel setup, Spikey!

I think telescopes smaller than 3” (76mm) have limited usefulness at magnifications needed to see details on the planets.  So the 72 would be preferred over the 60 for general astronomy.

Here is my travel setup:  TV76, Skywatcher AZ/GTI, Gitzo Traveler 2 Tripod.  The scope, eyepieces and accessories go in a backpack that fits under an airline seat, and the tripod and mount in carry on luggage.  You could certainly achieve similar results with some carefully chosen less expensive components.

#6 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:24 PM

Both would be great scopes. Both need some sort of mount for astronomy that's meant for astronomy. I've had a lot of photo/video mounts and they are fine for terrestrial, but not good for astronomy.

The AT60ED is excellent for sure. And I'm sure the 72mm is also. I think the larger one would be warranted unless you need extreme portability.

I did want the same thing as you. I wanted to ensure I could always bring a scope no matter what. What I ended up getting was the AT60ED, a nice hard case for it. And I use a dwarfstar mount (no longer made I don't think). It's on a normal camera tripod. Really nice setup and extremely small. Possibly the AT72 would work on that also, but could be a bit shaky I would guess.

20180610 104455

• Moondust likes this

#7 jmccown

jmccown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

I see. So you're saying that your AT60ED works fine with the Dwarfstar mount on a camera tripod. I think the Stellarvue M1V that Geordanr uses might be a good substitute for the Dwarfstar.

What tripod do you have? Some are quite expensive.

Someone sold an AT66ED in the classified section of this site for $220 last month. Assuming the scope was in good shape, it was a great deal. I kick myself for not buying it.

Both would be great scopes. Both need some sort of mount for astronomy that's meant for astronomy. I've had a lot of photo/video mounts and they are fine for terrestrial, but not good for astronomy.

The AT60ED is excellent for sure. And I'm sure the 72mm is also. I think the larger one would be warranted unless you need extreme portability.

I did want the same thing as you. I wanted to ensure I could always bring a scope no matter what. What I ended up getting was the AT60ED, a nice hard case for it. And I use a dwarfstar mount (no longer made I don't think). It's on a normal camera tripod. Really nice setup and extremely small. Possibly the AT72 would work on that also, but could be a bit shaky I would guess.

Edited by jmccown, 25 May 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

I went a bit cheap on the tripod. A giottos brand. It works ok, but probably the weakest part of the setup. But it was hard to justify the more expensive tripods.

#9 ji4m

ji4m

Explorer 1

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

My favorite mount for a small refractor is the B9gen 3040, it's a 3046 tripod with a 3047 head. I mount the scope "side saddle."  There are Manfrotto equivent numbers but new, you're  looking at about $500. 

I keep my eye peeled on the local Craigslist,  I see them for under $100. 

Jon

I think the "side saddle" mounting is key.  Otherwise, the balance goes quickly askew in altitude.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

I have been using a Bogen 3021 aluminum photo tripod (~6.5#) and a UA DwarfStar mount ( no longer made, but ~1.25#) with my AT72EDII  for several years. It works OK for magnifications between 16x-62x. With 2-inch accessories the whole rig weighs about 14#. The 2-speed focuser allows using the scope on a light mount without getting too shaky. 

If I want more stability, I put the AT72ED2 and the same mount on a heavier oberwerk tall wooden tripod where everything weighs closer to 21#, but it’s usually on the 3021 because I seldom use more than 62x with this scope. 

• jmccown likes this

#11 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

This a Davis and Sandford All Terrain photo tripod and Stellarvue MV1 mount shown here with my Stowaway but I'ved used it much more often with my old AT72ED2. Works great for star sweeping at low to medium power but for high power not recommended, not because of stability but because of no micro movement control.  

ds.jpg

• jmccown and StarHugger like this

#12 jmccown

jmccown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:02 PM

Moon, your response is the reason why I like to ask other astronomers their experiences with equipment, instead of just relying on the manufacturer or sellers' descriptions. The Stellarvue description of the mount says "The mount does not use or need slow motion controls." 

I think I might get that mount anyway. But thanks to you, I have a better idea of what to expect from it.

This a Davis and Sandford All Terrain photo tripod and Stellarvue MV1 mount shown here with my Stowaway but I'ved used it much more often with my old AT72ED2. Works great for star sweeping at low to medium power but for high power not recommended, not because of stability but because of no micro movement control.  

attachicon.gifds.jpg

• Moondust likes this

#13 BRIMoPho

BRIMoPho

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Queen Creek, AZ

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

I have a Benro A373T with a 75mm bowl and half-ball mount that's normally used for video cameras, it's sturdy without being too heavy with a (supposedly) 55lb capacity.  But, the part I like best is that you level the tripod at the bowl instead of adjusting the tripod legs in/out; loosen the half-ball mount, adjust, tighten it back up, done.  Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't seen more in use here, especially if you take it on the road.

Edited by BRIMoPho, 26 May 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• jmccown likes this

#14 Rollo

Rollo

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:19 PM

I'm not ready to buy yet, but I want a small, compact refractor and mount that I can easily travel with. Perhaps an AT72EDII or the equivalent Skywatcher.

I can't count the number of times I've been away from home and said "I wish I had my telescope". But lugging around a big, sturdy Alt-Az or equatorial mount is not an option. Will the AT72EDII work well with a lightweight camera tripod, or does it need something sturdier?

Or, should I set my sights to a smaller scope like an AT60ED?

Any recommendations for a lightweight, portable tripod?

Thanks.

Hi,, I use the Sky Watcher AZ5 mount and I can carry it outside with one hand,, no problem.    I use my SW 72ed with it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• r_pictues 2 1597.jpg
  • r_pictues 2 1615.jpg

• eros312 and jmccown like this

#15 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

I use mine on a Manfrotto 3246 tripod and MVH502AH fluid head. With the scope it's very light and easily carried with one hand. For hiking I have a smaller Manfrotto 055XB Tripod that I use with a ball head.

AT72EDII 3 1800px SM

Edited by NYJohn S, 27 May 2020 - 11:21 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Moondust, eros312 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics