•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First contact mirror cleaning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:53 AM

I'm curious after reading just snipits about this product. Does it work? Is it safe? Does it pull the coating clean off the glass?

Thanks, Paul

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:44 AM

I knew someone who used it (Apo) and was very pleased.  Quite expensive IMO. For something like an Apo that stays in it's lens cell, I could see how it

might be enticing, but for a Newt mirror, It's fairly easy (and far cheaper) to just remove and clean it

• wky46 likes this

#3 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

First, I have no financial interest in First Contact.

I've been using First Contact to clean my mirrors (4"-6" range), for the past few years and can say it works as advertised removing crud from them. The only negative is that, if not protected, it may remove the center dot on the mirror.

Since I get about four cleanings per small kit (4"-6" mirrors), the average cost per cleaning becomes lower. 

Regards

Steve T

#4 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Administrators
  • Loc: Winder, Ga USA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

So I was kinda curious about this product when I started reading up on it......right up until I got a eyeful of the price lol

For the cost of a gal of distilled water and a few drops of dish washing liquid which has served me well for years cleaning my mirrors I am unlikely to ever be able to offer any 1st hand advice on how that stuff works :)

#5 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

Yeah I went to the site and it's over $100 depending on which you choose. I'll abandon that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics