•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can one put a non-televue telescope on a televue mount (tele-pod)

mount
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gerards

gerards

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:23 AM

Can one put a non-televue telescope on a televue mount, and how well does it work?

I have telepod mount on a panoramic mount.  I have an old ranger, which I have used for years, but unfortunately the focuser has recently detached itself from the main body of the telescope.  So I am considering buying a skywatcher 72ED apo refractor.

The televue scopes have a sliding bit so one can balance the telescope on the mount, but other telescopes makers don't have that on their telescopes.  Is that an important consideration?

Grateful for any advice.

Gerard

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Should not have a problem. The scope will have either a foot or a dovetail and that is the bit that needs to mate to the saddlle of the TV mount.

There is rather unfortunately basically 2 types of dovetail and saddles.

Assuming the worst, your scope may be the other one to the TV. In which case you buy a dovetail to fit the TV saddle and screw/bolt that to your scope then put the whole lot on to the TV mount. I had to do that with my WO scopes.

Not a great problem as you buy a dovetail of sufficent length to cover balance with extra bits - in effect you are likely to have to buy one anyway.

Also most people leave both bits on the scope, you know where to find them then.

#3 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

You can mount non-TV scopes on a Telepod head but I don’t really recommend it. I had my Stowaway mounted on one years ago and I was constantly having to mess with the altitude friction. These types of mounts work best when the altitude bearings are exactly centered on the OTA. The Stowaway had a larger diameter tube than the TV scopes, and since there was no way to adjust the telepod base plate up or down, I always had to have some friction on the altitude bearings. This made hand tracking at higher mags quite frustrating. For just low mag sweeping, it’s probably OK. 

So, yes, it can be done, but my experience with it was less than stellar. YMMV.

#4 gerards

gerards

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

Thanks to both of you for your replies. 

#5 gipster

gipster

Explorer 1

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:18 AM

ADM a makes a dovetail clamp which enables you to use any dovetail. Its a very well machined clamp. I have used one for the last 4 years and I’m very happy with it.
  • Terra Nova and Celerondon like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

I added a dovetail clamp for Vixen-style mounting rails to mine years ago. It works great. I use it with many different scopes.

• Celerondon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics