•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

is it worth it ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:39 AM

Hello

I'm currently taking images with my iPhone and an adapter

i'm wondering if it is worth it to buy ZWO ASI120MC-S ,

i'm not sure if it will be able to produce better images with a big of a difference , i've seen videos+ final stacked images of the camera taken with better telescopes that do not produce so (wow) quality images.

i'm using 80mm refractor F/11.25 (900mm focal length)

here's some images i took with my  iPhone

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/706661-venus-captured-today/

https://www.cloudyni...er-flower-moon/

https://ibb.co/JFWR0bf

https://ibb.co/f1FXpbJ

https://ibb.co/xjGn7Zv

https://ibb.co/RhZdmfj

Thank you

Edited by fadheloo, 25 May 2020 - 04:41 AM.

#2 Creedence

Creedence

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

I personally have found it a worthwhile hobby, but be prepared for the fact that there is no end to the investment.

With the new camera you’ll benefit from better tracking which could lead to a new mount and possibly guiding. You may want to expand to DSOs which would have you looking at faster focal ratios. Even if you stick with the moon and planets, you could be looking at Apos.

The list goes on.

It’s an engaging hobby that requires a lot of thought and analysis, but you’re rewarded with images that really do justify the hard work.

Is it worth it? In my mind, YES!
  • Stelios and fadheloo like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

At 4.8x3.6mm I would say not worth it.

The moon would be 8mm diameter so no moon shots, you would fit about 1/4 of the moon on.

The problem I guess you will come up against is an iPhone can only go so far, and you are likely there or close. And a better video type camera would deliver an improvement. However not sort of any camera.

But imaging is a case of money, you have to say "No, no more" at some stage

Main negative to me is the sensor size. With the scope, and lets use the moon, you need a 10mm square sensor sort of minimum, 12mm sq better.

• fadheloo likes this

#4 SambaChoro

SambaChoro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mohegan Lake, NY

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

If you plan on doing planetary imaging I say it's worth it. I'd probably invest in the mono version and a filter wheel with filters if you want to get more of the WOW photos you mentioned. 

ZWO ASI120mm-s    $179

ZWO filter wheel       $88.00

ZWO LRGB filter set $88.00

Total                          $355.00

I don't know if you want to invest this much now but as far as astrophotography is concerned this is not a huge investment.

But as someone mentioned above it is an endless investment. I don't know what mount you have but tracking is important. And I'm not sure if 900mm scope is enough for planetary imaging. (I don't know the sensor size of your phone but I imagine it is small so that the image is highly cropped - correct me if I'm wrong).

I have done planetary imaging with a similar color camera from Celestron (Skyris) and yes, I don't think my images are that much better than the ones you took (they are better, just NOT that much better).

Anyway, it is impressive what can be done with a phone camera nowadays. Good shots.

Leo

• fadheloo likes this

#5 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

I personally have found it a worthwhile hobby, but be prepared for the fact that there is no end to the investment.

With the new camera you’ll benefit from better tracking which could lead to a new mount and possibly guiding. You may want to expand to DSOs which would have you looking at faster focal ratios. Even if you stick with the moon and planets, you could be looking at Apos.

The list goes on.

It’s an engaging hobby that requires a lot of thought and analysis, but you’re rewarded with images that really do justify the hard work.

Is it worth it? In my mind, YES!

I’m for sure going to upgrade my mount/scope in the future , just for now i am afraid that this camera is not suited for my scope , so it might be a waste if i bought it now 🤔

#6 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

At 4.8x3.6mm I would say not worth it.
The moon would be 8mm diameter so no moon shots, you would fit about 1/4 of the moon on.

The problem I guess you will come up against is an iPhone can only go so far, and you are likely there or close. And a better video type camera would deliver an improvement. However not sort of any camera.

But imaging is a case of money, you have to say "No, no more" at some stage

Main negative to me is the sensor size. With the scope, and lets use the moon, you need a 10mm square sensor sort of minimum, 12mm sq better.

Sorry I have no idea about sensors i’m a total newbie in imaging xP

So basically the sensor is too small to fit the whole moon in ? Although i can fit the moon with 36X magn easily

Edited by fadheloo, 25 May 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#7 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:20 AM

If you plan on doing planetary imaging I say it's worth it. I'd probably invest in the mono version and a filter wheel with filters if you want to get more of the WOW photos you mentioned.

ZWO ASI120mm-s $179
ZWO filter wheel $88.00
ZWO LRGB filter set $88.00
Total $355.00

I don't know if you want to invest this much now but as far as astrophotography is concerned this is not a huge investment.

But as someone mentioned above it is an endless investment. I don't know what mount you have but tracking is important. And I'm not sure if 900mm scope is enough for planetary imaging. (I don't know the sensor size of your phone but I imagine it is small so that the image is highly cropped - correct me if I'm wrong).

I have done planetary imaging with a similar color camera from Celestron (Skyris) and yes, I don't think my images are that much better than the ones you took (they are better, just NOT that much better).
Anyway, it is impressive what can be done with a phone camera nowadays. Good shots.

Leo

I’m really on a tight budget right now so i cannot spend that much ,
I’m not sure what do you mean by highly cropped but yeah usually the object are small in the frames and i have to crop the frame to like 50% , i have a celestron GoTo Alt-Azm mount , it can easily track an object for like 10 minutes centered and without the object going out of frame , still not really sure if i should go for it or not

#8 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

-*just checked what is the sensor size on my iPhone7plus -it is 1/3 inches so same size as the camera i guess

[ The first wide-angle camera has a 1/3″ sensor with a 28mm equivalent f/1.8 lens (a total of 6 lens elements), whereas the second telephoto camera has a smaller 1/3.6″ sensor with a 56mm equivalent f/2.8 lens (a total of 5 lens elements ]

I don’t know what to make out of this or if this helps , but this is copied from a website making a review on the phone

Edited by fadheloo, 25 May 2020 - 11:00 AM.

#9 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

-*just checked what is the sensor size on my iPhone7plus -it is 1/3 inches so same size as the camera i guess

[ The first wide-angle camera has a 1/3″ sensor with a 28mm equivalent f/1.8 lens (a total of 6 lens elements), whereas the second telephoto camera has a smaller 1/3.6″ sensor with a 56mm equivalent f/2.8 lens (a total of 5 lens elements ]

I don’t know what to make out of this or if this helps , but this is copied from a website making a review on the phone

Nice images.

On your budget, if the 120 has the same size sensor, and is not cooled, there won't be much of a difference.  Maybe some on emission nebulae.

Edited by bobzeq25, 25 May 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• fadheloo likes this

#10 fadheloo

fadheloo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

Thank you all ! 

i've got a little idea on what i should do :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics