The Rho Ophiuchi Nebula has been on the menu lately. Though I've imaged it multiple times since 2017, I never appreciated how colorful the area is until this year. Indeed, it's probably the most colorful of all the targets I've captured—it's practically a full representation of the rainbow.
I can't say I was particularly impressed with my stars from my f/2.8 capture on the night of the 16th. The 200mm wide open has abysmal point performance that degrades toward the edges. So on the night of the 22nd, I added another 70.5 minutesf/3.8 to my 123 minutes of f/2.8 data (for a total of 160 minutesf/2.8).
Starnet++ came up in a post recently, so I decided to test it out on the composite image. It runs as a very simple bash shell script, so it was very straightforward to install and run from the Mac OS X Unix command line. It produces excellent results on nebula bodies, but struggles with really bright stars. Fortunately, both the Star Layer Separate and Remove Stars (Large Image) actions in Annie's Astro Actions 7.0 do a much better job on bright stars, so a simple layer mask with one of those fixed it.
So here are the results:
(Click for full size.)
Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, Canon 600D/T3i