•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LXD 650/750 questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 delorehal

delorehal

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:06 AM

I bought years ago a new Meade LXD600 mount w/o the panel controller

I found later two new  #1664 Electronic Drive System, I mounted the control panel w/o powering the unit

However I realized that the LXD600 and LXD650 electronic are different (12V vs 18V ?)

So I would like to know the differences between these mounts and if I can use the electronic drive to my LXD600 mount

My second question is can I use a LX200 hand controller on a LXD650 mount ?

Finally can I use a  #1697 Computer Drive System controller with a  #1664 Electronic Drive System panel ?

Edited by delorehal, 25 May 2020 - 06:11 AM.

#2 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:57 PM

As far as the drive motors are concerned, either the 12V drive system or the 18V system can be used with the same motors.

No, you can not mix and match components from the different systems. The LX200 and #1697 hand controllers are basic "dumb" input/output devices. The database and operating software is in the Main drive boards. If you want a GOTO system you need the whole #1697 CDS electronics package which replaces the #1664 electronics. 

#3 delorehal

delorehal

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:44 AM

Thanks

So (to be sure), I can use the 1664 electronic drive system on my LXD600 mount ?

Can I use with it a 12V power supply (in order to reduce the risque for capacitor) ?

Is the LX200 hand controller the same than the LXD one ?

#4 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

I have been told the hand controllers are the same for the LX200 Classic, and the LXD650/LXD750. The electronics are the same even though the PCBs are different and connected differently. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

--Rob

#5 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

The 1664 was an option for the Meade refractor mounts as was the 1697. Here's a quote from a PDF I found online for the refractors:

"Motor Drive Systems: Factory pre-installed on all Meade apochromatic models as standard-equipment are two DC servo motors, one each inside the polar and declination axes.  Installing either of the optional drive systems requires no more than a few minutes and entails simple plug-in connection of the declination motor to the power panel and attachment of the power panel to the declination casting.  Alternately, either the #1664 EDS or #1697 CDS may be factory-installed at no additional cost, if requested at the time of order.  Once installed, the drive system is totally integrated to the mount, with no motors or electronics externally visible. Either drive system, #1664 or #1697, may be added to any Meade APO model; each includes a 25 ft. cord and adapter for operation from any 115v AC outlet."

You can certainly use 12V for either the original 12V drives or the newer 18V drives, the motors are the same. Meade bumped the voltage up to 18V for faster slewing and didn't make any changes to the electronics. That was part of the reason that the caps had a tendency to blow, because they were being operated with less of a safety margin. It might not have been a problem if Meade hadn't used an unregulated 18V power supply that could often spank the caps with voltage spikes very close to, or over their maximum operating voltage.

Conventional wisdom with those old systems is to change out the caps regardless, because there is no way of knowing how many voltage spikes the capacitors have taken over their lifetime. Your situation is a bit of an anomaly because you say your electronics are "new" so it could be assumed they haven't been abused by the voltage spikes. It could be argued you'd be perfectly safe running your system @ 12V which is the design voltage. My only concern is I've read the epoxy used in the capacitors dries out over time which may lead to failure. The problem with these old style capacitors is they fail by shorting out which can cause damage to other components. Newer style caps can still fail, but they don't short and go up in flames.

Since you say you have two sets of #1664 electronics, you certainly have a back-up should one fail and that would tell you if you needed to replace the caps in the spare set. I'm not familiar with what kind of hand controller the #1164 uses. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it was different than the LX200 and #1697 controller so if you don't have a #1664 handbox, you may be stuck until you find one.

I recently put my LX200 scope into storage, but am still using my LXD650 with the #1697 CDS system. I should be visiting the storage unit in the next week or so and I'll see if I can easily get to my LX200 handbox. If I can, I'll grab it, bring it home and try it out on my 650. I suspect they are the same because the controllers are just dumb input/readout devices and the software is "almost" the same for the two mounts, the difference being no Alt-Az option on the #1697 and differing start-up positions. In my mind that shouldn't effect how the mounts communicate with the hand controllers. They look identical but they do have different firmware numbers so I'm not 100% sure.

• delorehal likes this

#6 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:32 AM

To directly answer your question on the differences between the 600 and 650 mounts - The only difference I'm aware of is the LXD 600 mount was a 12V mount, and the 650 was RUN at 18V. It's important to note, that the two mounts are identical, physically and the electronics are the same, which is why I underlined the word "RUN."  The only change Meade made between the two models was changing the separate power supply from 12V to 18V,  re-printing of the power panel voltage labeling, and changing the model number of the mount to 650.

Here's an ad showing a 600 with the CDS 1697 system. It looks exactly like my 650 with the exception is says 12V on the power panel.

https://astromart.co...omplete-wtripod

• rferrante and delorehal like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics