•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Mods for a 130 Reflector

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

I just got a Spaceprobe 130ST, and I am already ready to start modifying it and boosting its performance. I live outside MYRTLE BEACH SC, so humidity and light pollution are issues. I am planning on flocking the tube since my neighbors across the way like to keep their lights on and I've noticed the reflection in the OTA when I look down the front.

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

I live in area of high humidity and have an 8" Astrograph. Here's what I do and so far so good:

== wrap primary end of tube with Astrozap dew collar (controller on tripod leg)

== use Astrozap flex dew shield (not shown in photo)

== wrap primary end and dew shield with layer of Reflectix (at Lowe's) and tape down Reflectix around focuser / secondary

Attached Thumbnails

• ADM_2.JPG

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

I just got a Spaceprobe 130ST, and I am already ready to start modifying it and boosting its performance. I live outside MYRTLE BEACH SC, so humidity and light pollution are issues. I am planning on flocking the tube since my neighbors across the way like to keep their lights on and I've noticed the reflection in the OTA when I look down the front.

What does a star test look like with a 5mm eyepiece, no barlows 

a new focuser would be 1st on my list

Edited by Pinbout, 25 May 2020 - 01:42 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

I had an Orion 130 ST for a number of years. It had a 2 inch focuser but that required cutting a hole in the OTA.

Jon

#5 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

I had an Orion 130 ST for a number of years. It had a 2 inch focuser but that required cutting a hole in the OTA.

Jon

ANd build a spacer if I remember correctly

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:26 PM

my 130 f5 $90 scope

the mirror looked like this

IMG_2843.jpg

but its suppose to look like this

5f5.jpg

I eventually stripped and fixed the primary... the 2ndry tested well.

so now it star tests well

https://www.youtube....M&index=18&t=0s

#7 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:27 PM

I live in area of high humidity and have an 8" Astrograph. Here's what I do and so far so good:

== wrap primary end of tube with Astrozap dew collar (controller on tripod leg)
== use Astrozap flex dew shield (not shown in photo)

== wrap primary end and dew shield with layer of Reflectix (at Lowe's) and tape down Reflectix around focuser / secondary

My question about the wrap is does it stop the mirrors from fogging yr round or is it just good during the cold?

Edited by Spac3Rac3r, 25 May 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#8 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

Star test looks good I've got the collimation down pretty good, it's just that now after 2 nights ago we probably had 80 90% humidity after it rained for the last 2 days the skys cleared up just enough at sunset for me to get a shot at venus and merc together. I let the mirror cool down for over an hour and they were still fogged up and now I have this haze on the primary.

#9 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

And about the focuser idk if I wanna drop the extra cash on one when I can get my collimation as good now. After I flock it I will mechanically align and shim the focuser I have now to make it as true as possible. My next OTA will have a 2 speed crayford.

#10 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

And about the focuser idk if I wanna drop the extra cash on one when I can get my collimation as good now. After I flock it I will mechanically align and shim the focuser I have now to make it as true as possible. My next OTA will have a 2 speed crayford.

#11 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:58 PM

The wrap (Reflectix) is cheap. It’s bubble wrap with Mylar on both sides. Keeping it on as I’ve had success year round. I do have the AstroZap flex dew shield that is also wrapped in Reflectix and the shield is about 12” deep.

If you try, use blue paint tape (as I show at focuser) as it won’t mar or leave sticky residue on surfaces. If you try shield, I use Velcro but both parts of Velcro are on Reflectix as Velcro adhesive ruins any surface.

#12 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:30 AM

There is very little you can do to "boost" the performance. 

Flocking is OK, but my advice to you is to not spend any other money on this scope.  I am sure it is a fine little scope, but with maybe the exception of flocking the tube or putting on a dew shield like extension to act as a baffle, nothing you can do to it is going to really make much difference in how it performs.

My advice is to simply do your flocking (or a tube extension) and enjoy the scope, and save whatever money you would spend pimping it out on a bigger and better scope.   There is no amount of money you can spend on this telescope that is going to make it show you as much as you would get by using a slightly larger telescopes.

I have owned maybe 60 or 70 telescopes and I would say that the very best money you can spend in search of getting better performance is not in diagonals, or eyepieces or anything else (besides an image intensified eyepiece which makes a huge difference for any scope).  The best way to increase performance is to move to a better instrument. Any money you spend trying to make to boost the performace of your current scope is mostly money wasted, though the flocking or tube extension may be beneficial and is inexpensive enough to be worth doing. 

So, flock, but avoid buying focusers or expensive eyepieces or anything else. If you want to boost performance, 100% of the money you would spend on your current scope should be saved and put towards a bigger or better telescope. 

Edited by Eddgie, 26 May 2020 - 09:31 AM.

#13 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

There is very little you can do to "boost" the performance.

Flocking is OK, but my advice to you is to not spend any other money on this scope. I am sure it is a fine little scope, but with maybe the exception of flocking the tube or putting on a dew shield like extension to act as a baffle, nothing you can do to it is going to really make much difference in how it performs.

My advice is to simply do your flocking (or a tube extension) and enjoy the scope, and save whatever money you would spend pimping it out on a bigger and better scope. There is no amount of money you can spend on this telescope that is going to make it show you as much as you would get by using a slightly larger telescopes.

I have owned maybe 60 or 70 telescopes and I would say that the very best money you can spend in search of getting better performance is not in diagonals, or eyepieces or anything else (besides an image intensified eyepiece which makes a huge difference for any scope). The best way to increase performance is to move to a better instrument. Any money you spend trying to make to boost the performace of your current scope is mostly money wasted, though the flocking or tube extension may be beneficial and is inexpensive enough to be worth doing.
So, flock, but avoid buying focusers or expensive eyepieces or anything else. If you want to boost performance, 100% of the money you would spend on your current scope should be saved and put towards a bigger or better telescope.

So basically I should return this one and spend another 100 bucks and get the 8in Dobsonian. I was worried about tracking a planet with a dob or finding DSOs but I cant even see them from my light polluted area anyways apparently.

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

So basically I should return this one and spend another 100 bucks and get the 8in Dobsonian. I was worried about tracking a planet with a dob or finding DSOs but I cant even see them from my light polluted area anyways apparently.

best thing you could do is move to Arizona.

#15 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

Haha I like that one there ur probably right, I'll always have a turbulent atmosphere here on the coast.

#16 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:05 PM

Yea imma just stick with my 130 for now flock it, make me a dew shield, and figure out a way to make a fine adjustment on the focuser I have. Could any of you point me in the right direction to learn star hopping in a red bortle zone.

#17 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

One more question the spaceprobe comes with this plate over the back of the primary and I've noticed all the other newtonians dont have a cover, should I remove it or leave it since Orion seemed fit to put it there?

#18 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

I'ts so people don't easily mess with the primary collimation screws.
Find a darker spot and look East over the water.
You may need a optical 9x50 finder to see enough stars to hop about.

Edited by Hilbily, 26 May 2020 - 09:52 PM.

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Yea imma just stick with my 130 for now flock it, make me a dew shield, and figure out a way to make a fine adjustment on the focuser I have. Could any of you point me in the right direction to learn star hopping in a red bortle zone.

I don’t have a vid of it but...

point a good laser into a wide eyepiece - 32-25mm and it will shoot out of the scope. Where it points that’s what’s in your eyepiece.

youd be surprised how easy it is just looking at your app and using the laser to find

no aligning anything, stand at comfortable position while you shoot and point

532 green laser 

AF09CD02-A224-41A0-BFDB-7C2D16A36BFC.jpeg

Edited by Pinbout, 26 May 2020 - 10:17 PM.

• Eddgie and howardcano like this

#20 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:43 PM

My recommendation would be to get the most out of this scope without spending much on it and then buying a USED upgrade.  I have gotten two 8" dobs that work.  Both need their primaries re-coated but that isn't very expensive.  One dob cost me $30 and the other cost $100.

• Pinbout likes this

#21 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

My recommendation would be to get the most out of this scope without spending much on it and then buying a USED upgrade.  I have gotten two 8" dobs that work.  Both need their primaries re-coated but that isn't very expensive.  One dob cost me $30 and the other cost $100.

My $100 8” dob had to be totally rebuilt. Figured it was cost of just the optics

#22 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

20200529_003803.jpg

#23 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

20200529_003845.jpg

#24 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:44 PM

20200529_004004.jpg

#25 Spac3Rac3r

Spac3Rac3r

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

20200529_003935.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics