•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 6 SE Azimuth limited to ~90 degrees?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hiperco

hiperco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:05 PM

Hi all, new owner here.  (I actually bought the 6SE around the holidays, but only just now trying to get it set up and working).  My Azimuth control seems to be limited to about ~90 degrees, either on or off the "official" tripod.  It appears to stop quickly at both end of the travel, as if it hits a hard stop. I initially had rechargeable batteries installed, but I tried fresh AA's and all that did was get it to hit the limit harder mad.gif )

Any suggestions?  Is this a factory defect perhaps?

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

Check MENU, SCOPE SETUP, SLEW LIMITS.

"Slew Limits – Sets the limits in altitude that the telescope can slew without displaying a warning message. The slew limits prevent the

telescope tube from slewing to an object below the horizon. The slew limits can be customized depending on your needs. For example, if
you would like to slew to an object that is close to the zenith but you have a camera attached that prevents it from pointing straight up, you
can set the maximum altitude to 80 or 85 degrees to prevent the tube from ever pointing straight up"

Edited by Xeroid, 25 May 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

AFIK there is no hard stop in the 6/8 azimuth drive. The slew limits are not hard stops. Running on batteries it should turn freely in either direction and continue going around as long as you press the key.

If you are bold and comfortable with the idea you can remove the top of the base and inspect the large drive gear and watch it rotate. Four recessed screws near the corners of the battery compartment if memory serves. There are a lot of threads and videos showing SE mount disassembly. There is also an excellent book by Michael Swanson The Nexstar User's Guide and Mike's Nexstar Resource Site. Mike takes a cautious approach on disassembly but provides useful info.

If done with care my experience has been that Celestron will not later say that you voided the warranty. They have not been that sort of outfit.

The only other options I can suggest are that you call Celestron, talk with a tech and prepare to pay the cost of shipping it for warranty service or wait for the answer here before calling.

Good luck.

Edited by barbarosa, 25 May 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Tfer

Tfer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:13 PM

Hi all, new owner here.  (I actually bought the 6SE around the holidays, but only just now trying to get it set up and working).  My Azimuth control seems to be limited to about ~90 degrees, either on or off the "official" tripod.  It appears to stop quickly at both end of the travel, as if it hits a hard stop. I initially had rechargeable batteries installed, but I tried fresh AA's and all that did was get it to hit the limit harder mad.gif )

BTW, don’t use batteries.  They simply don’t have enough power to operate the scope. Keep them installed in case your power adapter becomes unplugged - it’ll save your alignment.

Good luck, and welcome.

#5 Tfer

Tfer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

The only hard stop in AZ, is the cord wrap feature.  It will not allow the scope to pass what the computer believes is due south.

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:16 PM

Hi,

Do you mean that if you are using the left/right arrow buttons it will not travel past a specific, repeatable spot?

As mentioned earlier, there are no hard stops in the NexStar 6SE mount.  The cord wrap prevention feature does not stop movement with the arrow buttons nor a GoTo operation, it just determines what direction a GoTo will take to get to the destination.

One quick test, remove the optical tube, then remove the mount (fork arm) from the tripod.  Turn it upside down and shake.  There should not be any rattling.  I'm thinking there is a piece of debris in there...

This problem also occurs if you use longer than provided bolts to fix the mount to a tripod/pier.  The longer bolts interfere with azimuth motion.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• Tfer likes this

#7 hiperco

hiperco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

Thanks all for the replies, I am thinking that the azimuth gearbox must be defective (a defect on the azimuth outer ring wouldn't behave like this, I don't think).  I've submitted a ticket with Celestron.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

All are possibilities ... but easily the most common reason for limitations in the SE azimuth motion is as Mike mentioned some interference with the bolts used to attach the mount to the tripod. I'd do a quick check and put the SE on a table (no tripod) and without the scope tube mounted just run the mount through it's azimuth motions using the direction keys on the hand controller.

#9 hiperco

hiperco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, but I've only ever used the factory tripod, and I've confirmed that the issue remains when placed on a table.

I did start to disassemble it, but I couldn't seem to get the battery holder to release after removing the screws...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics