•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

televue ranger coarse focus draw tube detached - is it repairable?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gerards

gerards

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

The coarse focus draw tube has separated from the main tube.  The draw tube is secured to the main tube by a pin in the main tube that goes into a slot in the course focus draw tube.  Unfortunately the pin has disintegrated, and so the tube can come out of the main tube.

Please see photos.  One shows the draw tube and the slot.  The other is the main tube, and the pin should be above where you can see the words "Ranger", a short distance in the tube and on the bottom of the tube.   It should lie where you can see a light coloured bit.  The pin is secured by a screw underneath it. 

DSCN1746
DSCN1734

Grateful for any help and ideas.  Unless I can fix this, I will probably need a new telescope.

Thanks

Gerard

Edited by gerards, 25 May 2020 - 01:09 PM.

#2 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

Check with Tele Vue tomorrow. They may be able to repair.

#3 alnitak22

alnitak22

Soyuz

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Check with Tele Vue tomorrow. They may be able to repair.

Yes, they could repair it but unfortunately are closed due to Covid. Maybe later in the summer.

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:16 PM

I think they are taking calls for technical support. They are very helpful on the phone, and have often helped me solve the problem myself.
  • alnitak22 likes this

#5 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:22 PM

Perhaps you can get a slightly  longer screw of the same thread size for a temp fix? in other words, remove the existing screw, and use a longer one to fit into the slot ?

#6 gerards

gerards

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:33 AM

Getting a longer screw won't help as the screw width is wider than the slot on the drawtube. The screw supports whatever goes into the slot.  I guess that I will have to talk to Televue once they are open again.

#7 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

TV should be able to provide a new pin since the TV60 uses the same design.  Otherwise find a local machine shop and see if they can make a new one,

Alternately, just leave it set at correct distance for your eyepieces and don’t loosen the top thumb screw.  It will still work as long as you don’t pull it out too far.

Dave

#8 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

Getting a longer screw won't help as the screw width is wider than the slot on the drawtube. The screw supports whatever goes into the slot.  I guess that I will have to talk to Televue once they are open again.

Just grind down the end off the screw so the end portion will fit the slot?

#9 gerards

gerards

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:10 AM

Good news.   I spoke to Televue in the USA (from the UK) and they sent me the appropriate screw with the bit on it that goes into the slot of the drawtube. Televue only charged for the mail.  I now have a working Ranger telescope and I have also repaired my panoramic mount. I also regreased the focuser so that is working well (I found out that I mustn't tighten the grub screws too much).  So very happy.   

• davidmcgo, beanerds, alnitak22 and 2 others like this

#10 plyscope

plyscope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:28 AM

Glad you were able to get the telescope repaired.

Here is an online article about re-greasing the helical focuser.

http://scopeviews.co...oFixTVFocus.htm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics