•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good time to sell a classic?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

Covid has of course affected the market. So has demographics. Does the value of classics vary considerably wrt the economy? Are there younger buyers interested?

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:27 PM

I'm interested. :)

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#3 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

Wow, you are "younger".
  • Astroman007 likes this

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

Covid has of course affected the market. So has demographics. Does the value of classics vary considerably wrt the economy? Are there younger buyers interested?

Beats me. I am living my life just like i always have pre CV19 days. Just did a complete stop of buying scopes after my sister passed away last summer. I guess if a rare scope i liked popped up local i would jump if the price is right. I just flat out gave everything away at 20% on the dollar last summer and don't have any astro gear now other than stuff i found that was hid away. I am done with shipping and pretty much done with scopes for now.   I was just bleeding money away so i had to give it up and saved up enough money to buy a big chunk of a new C7 Corvette in less than a year. Hard to even think how much money i threw away on scopes since 1976. I was just buying them to buy them and never used them.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

Sorry about your sis. Yeah, tonight is a perfect astro nite, but Im too tired or lazy to drag out the Vega. My kids arent interested.

#6 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

Well, collecibility is entirely dependent upon availability and cashflow. I highly doubt anyone with any sense who is not working during this crisis is buying collectibles of any kind. I would assume most young folks are spending their pennies elsewhere during this as well. I also know that many of the classic scope crowd are older and more secure in their finances enough to take a plunge here and there for a favored optic now and then. That being said, I see alot of bidding going on with the classics right now so I dont see that the market for older scopes has softened. I have been working steadily and actually making more than usual because of my profession so I AM totally in the market. I will be picking up my latest acquisition next week... though I haven't really figured out where I'm going to put it.

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

Sorry about your sis. Yeah, tonight is a perfect astro nite, but Im too tired or lazy to drag out the Vega. My kids arent interested.

Thanks. That was another thing, i just got tired of looking at things and found a 100 reasons not to use my scopes.  So after 43 years it was time to close the door for good. But maybe one day i will find something small to keep and use.  Just not into big stuff anymore.

#8 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

Well you know, after a year or two even a new Vette is just a car.
  • Paul Hyndman, tim53, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#9 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

I'm not shopping but if a great bargain was offered locally, I'd probably bite. Waiting for the best Questar opportunity to present itself. I'm not holding my breath. Chas is an interesting nice guy. But we are opposites.That's OK with me. I've only bought about a dozen telescopes while he's bought hundreds. The few I've owed have hundreds if not thousands of hours providing pure enjoyment. He bought my 1960 RV-6 that I loved from age 12 to 71. He sold it in a week or two. We all have different reasons to buy and sell classics, I pass no judgment on personal choices.
Bill
  • Terra Nova, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#10 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, I'd prefer not to sell to a flipper, but to someone who'd enjoy it. If I wanted to sell to a flipper, I'd give it to one of my kids.

• Starsareus, icomet and Astroman007 like this

#11 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:18 PM

Vega 8" f/4 MakNewt

• tim53, Peter B, Mike E. and 8 others like this

#12 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

Nice! I have an old C8 to get online though, and I'm in need of mounting plates / eyepieces / filters for my new Genesis (just came in today!), so I'll have to pass.

Hope you can sell it to, as you said, one who will appreciate and cherish.

#13 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

Nice! I have an old C8 to get online though, and I'm in need of mounting plates / eyepieces / filters for my new Genesis (just came in today!), so I'll have to pass.

Hope you can sell it to, as you said, one who will appreciate and cherish.

Remounted with rotating rings and an Atlas mount.

• Astroman007 likes this

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

Market for anything is iffy right  now   whether it is  classic telescopes    vintage guitars    violins     collectible valuable airguns     I'm holding onto mine      in a few years   we may get back to normal   or what was normal...

I feel bad though for those who have to sell stuff  at perhaps less than value because of the new normal thrust on everyone.   Some of us might even buy a piece here or there  to help someone else out

I bought the FS -128  a year ago  from a trusted member here  who was / is under serious medical issues and on costly meds/dialyses    he can have it back anytime after he gets his transplant and gets back on his feet....

Young people    buying classics      it is possible 

there will always be folks looking for vintage anything 

hell I started four years ago  buying classics

I do not think buying classic scopes is an investment re increasing value    say the way vintage guitars have been   but I suppose it can happen.    

Finally,  I looked in the garage and my garden shed to find the world we knew but it is not back yet    I'll keep looking    

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 25 May 2020 - 08:51 PM.

• tim53, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#15 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

Didn't mean to suggest Chaz is a flipper. Sorry.

#16 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

Hey there

sorry  I may have misread  or misinterpreted    I edit my post    all good

BTW    Love that Vega    it looks great 

Don't have a Newt yet and have never had one    yet

I have two C-8's     a 1979 deforked student astronomy club cast off I got for 150.00   It is so cool   so stable     it stays in collimation like no other SCT I have seen

I have a 1973 Sandcast  is very nice condition really  sweet shape   except the focus   Bob Goff optics    but    I just cannot get to pin point focus  and I dont know how to fix the focuser    I am ready to fire sell it  for a few bucks   just so someone who knows what to do can use it or fix it and sell it    Ill keep the diecast

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 25 May 2020 - 08:58 PM.

• Augustus and Astroman007 like this

#17 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Hey there

sorry  I may have misread  or misinterpreted    I edit my post    all good

BTW    Love that Vega    it looks great 

Don't have a Newt yet and have never had one    yet

I have two C-8's     a 1979 deforked student astronomy club cast off I got for 150.00   It is so cool   so stable     it stays in collimation like no other SCT I have seen

I have a 1973 Sandcast  is sweet shape      Bob Goff optics    but    I just cannot get to pin point focus  and I dont know how to fix the focuser    I am ready to fire sell it  for a few bucks   just so someone who knows what to do can use it or fix it and sell it    Ill keep the diecast

The Vega is a maknewt. This particular one is 8" f/4.

• Defenderslideguitar and Astroman007 like this

#18 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

Martin

is that the original TV Genesis   or the SDF model   congrats  on the Genesis

Barry

• Astroman007 likes this

#19 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Martin

is that the original TV Genesis   or the SDF model   congrats  on the Genesis

Barry

The original f/5.

Came with Starbeam, piggyback camera mount, clamshell, plate, 2" 90* TV diagonal, brown foam-lined case, and manual signed by Al Nagler.

Edit: Even came with the keys for the case, still sealed in their little baggy.

Edited by Astroman007, 25 May 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#20 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:09 PM

If I ever added another 4 inch scope  it would be the TV Genesis  hands down     solid  TV build  and wonderful wide field capability    and no slouch on planets   all in the classic genre I love

I had a line on one last year but it sold immediately   and I missed out

then  nearby   an NP 101 popped up and I bought it   updated Televue wide field views

Very nice as well

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 25 May 2020 - 09:10 PM.

• Bonco2 likes this

#21 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

I had a TV 85. Very nice scope. Decided to sell it to downsize.

#22 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:22 PM

Well, the used car market is apparently off by 20% so far but telescopes, used ones at least don't (anecdotal, admittedly) do not seem to have fallen in price much.  Desirable ones likely won't.  Scopes like older SCT's are at their lowest prices ever.  You can buy a basic old 8 inch SCT for about $300-$400 which is amazing.

#23 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:26 PM

Well, the used car market is apparently off by 20% so far but telescopes, used ones at least don't (anecdotal, admittedly) do not seem to have fallen in price much.  Desirable ones likely won't.  Scopes like older SCT's are at their lowest prices ever.  You can buy a basic old 8 inch SCT for about $300-$400 which is amazing.

Older SCTs are a shot in the dark.

• wander3 and Bonco2 like this

#24 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:04 AM

I've still been actively buying classics through this and am in one of the worst hit industries. My thoughts are; most of these classics you can score a real deal on from the usual sellers who are decluttering or liquidating an estate. And most of the time the condition is a little lacking, right now I've got a lot of time and not much money. Why not pick up a $50 old refractor, put in 10-20 hours of work into restoring it, enjoy it, and when the market comes back, make a couple hundred bucks on it? Or just enjoy it forever?

Not sure on the age thing though, I'm 37 and restored my first "classic" 3 years ago.

Edited by jragsdale, 26 May 2020 - 02:07 AM.

• Bonco2 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#25 AdAstraPerAspera

AdAstraPerAspera

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

I'm also 37. I'm not wealthy right now. Got into this unintentionally almost exactly a year ago by buying a 3", 100 y/o brass Mogey kit on Craigslist for less than 10% of what I'd resell it for. Since then, I've done a lot of learning and acquired 8 more "classics" - 4 in an auction lot from a university (cost was ~25% of market value), 1 from a CN amigo for shipping (but it'd sell for 2X what shipping cost, were I a flipper), 2 from an astronomy club mentor, and one from eBay. I also had a 50mm Asahi before but I didn't realize it was anything special until I got here. 

I'm currently working on my eyepiece kit. I've spent more on eyepieces than I did on the telescopes but I bought them all below market value as well. I was using the 25mm and 12mm Mogey eyepieces and simple, plossl-boom-era ep's for 6 months but I've gotten some pseudo-Masuyama, RKE, UO and Meade RG stuff lately. Also bought some mystery Brass ones on an auction site last night (and 3 other non-Classic Baader oculars from a CL guy about 200 miles away). Also just bought an awesome, vintage TV eyepiece hard case. I'll share pics of these things soon. 

I have a personal discomfort about reselling things that were given to me and I'd only do so if I was in dire straights. When I am done with the scopes I got for nothing, I will give them away to someone else who will use them to learn and appreciate the hobby. I gave the Astroscan I got for free to my friend and his 8 y/o son. 

As for selling? This community has taught me a lot. That knowledge, and the Ads thread, have been exercised for market research and strategic purchases. I plan to sell the telescopes that I bought from the university and eBay and buy a nicer classic telescope - below market value, when I can find it. I will be patient and educated with each purchase. My goal is to buy a nice Clark, so it might take a while.

My family is Dutch. It's a rather unimportant cultural detail but in the upper Midwest, it often has implications. To some it means "cheap" ("going Dutch" on a date). I like to think it means frugal. I like the idea of having a hobby that retains my investment and pays for itself. It's a game-within-a-game.

I plan to sell two of the Meade 826's I have very soon. Honestly, I just can't decide which market to start with. I think the market for this hobby is very healthy. It's inherently socially-distanced. Introductory equipment can be inexpensive. It's educational and timeless (Elon Musk notwithstanding). It's also beautiful. I've cleaned the telescopes up and ensured that they work well. If I'm fortunate, I will be selling them for 10X my investment. The funds will be silo-ed. Eventually, I hope to be a steward for a 20TE for a few seasons. Ultimately, I'll find a Clark, ideally larger than the Mogey.

I think I've spent about $450 on telescopes and $500 on eyepieces. If I were starving, I think it'd all fetch $7k+. That would be the end of the experience though and I don't think I'd give up learning about astronomy and requisite instruments, history, materials, and their care for $7k. I don't think I'd trade using this forum to learn for $7k. There is so much information here and so many experienced stargazers, machinists, engineers, scientists, and collectors that I kinda feel bad for outsiders and passive users. 

Edited by AdAstraPerAspera, 26 May 2020 - 05:50 AM.

• Bomber Bob, jragsdale and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics