•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Higher Power Bino Pair

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:20 PM

I’ve got a set of Denk II W/Power Switch and for solar observing I love my 24Pans. They are so crisp, bright and sharp and hard to beat.

I need something that is higher power around 15mm and 15 Pans are hard to find. I’ve got a pair of 15 mm APMs and there are just alright compared to the Pans. 
I need something that will be as crisp, bright and sharp as the 24s, any ideas

BD

#2 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

I use my Tak Abbe 18mm quite a lot in my Denk Binotron with the power switch. The 12.5mm are also very good for a bit more magnification, but the 18mm just feel perfect in the binoviewer.

By comparison, the 24 Pans look soft and lacklustre on solar and lunar, so I don’t use those on solar system targets at all anymore. I enjoy those in my binoscopes for deep sky observing.

I think you’ll enjoy upgrading to a good Abbe Ortho for the type of observing you’re doing.

#3 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

Allen, do you use the 12.5s in your Binos?

Ive never looked through one and if they make the 24 pans soft they have to be great eyepieces.

I would use these strictly for high power solar use on the best days

BD

#4 M44

M44

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

I got a pair of Tak 12.5mm Abbes after a suggestion from Allan. When observing M13, M5 Globular clusters with my 14.5" dob/Markv x 1.7xgpc), the view is crisp at 220x. waytogo.gif

#5 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:02 AM

For me too 12.5mm is the lowest I would like to go. I've got Tak LE 12.5mm, now looking for the second one for bino pair.

#6 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:17 AM

Allen, do you use the 12.5s in your Binos?

Ive never looked through one and if they make the 24 pans soft they have to be great eyepieces.

I would use these strictly for high power solar use on the best days

BD

With the combination of the power switch on the Denk, I find I use my 18 Tak Abbe and 16 ZAO’s more, but still use the 12.5 Tak Abbe often. Using the 18’s is like a massage for your eyes, they are perfect. The 12.5’s are just a little tighter in eye relief that’s all. I have 10 ZAO’s I use also, but they are as short as I go using Abbe Orthos in the binoviewer.

I enjoy panning around the lunar craters which look razor sharp in the Abbe Orthos. I remember the same view through the Pans by comparison looking as if I hadn’t 100% focused properly.

#7 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

I’ve got a set of Denk II W/Power Switch and for solar observing I love my 24Pans. They are so crisp, bright and sharp and hard to beat.

I need something that is higher power around 15mm and 15 Pans are hard to find. I’ve got a pair of 15 mm APMs and there are just alright compared to the Pans. 
I need something that will be as crisp, bright and sharp as the 24s, any ideas

BD

A pair of 16mm Nagler Type 5s can provide stunning images of the Moon and the gas giants.  I cannot tell you how they would perform on the Sun because I have never looked at the Sun through a telescope; and never will.

• bdcmd likes this

#8 fate187

fate187

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

TV delites or Baader Morpheus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics