•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 127 Mak with “Sticky” Focuser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

Just got a new SW 127 Mak.  No complaints except this: the focuser is sticky, not smooth.  I have never seen this in previous maks I have owned.  Anyone else been thru this?  What is the fix?  
Thanks!

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:48 PM

Dave - good talking to you on the phone the other day about this.  I'm surprised there were no responses. I hope you were able to get it resolved.

Frank

#3 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:31 PM

Frank,

Great news!  Tonight I tried your suggestion.  I loosened the two set screws on the focus knob, removed knob and turned the shaft by hand.  Smooth as butter.  I slide the knob back on the shaft, rotated from the original position slightly so as not to tightened the set screws back on the original dimples, made sure the end of the knob was not rubbing against the scope housing and tightened the screws. PROBLEM SOLVED!! The factory had the focus knob touching the housing.  Just got in from a quick observation of the moon.  Very smooth now.

Thanks for reaching out, that was one call I am glad I made.

Clear skies!

Dave

• jcj380 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics