•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little neater

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

In a previous post I pictured an attempt to better organize my cable spaghetti which came out looking like either a garden hose, long intestine, or some mythological beast. And it was a bit heavy and I think might have been adding a drag factor to the movement of the mount. I redid the set-up with lighter plastic and anchored some of the non-moving cables to the pier. My assumption is that the AP900 is robust enought to drag an elephant, but I had nothing to lose by the rearrangement. For some other reason, the mount did not behave well at all. The GOTOs were off and the tracking was all but non-existent. This was the first beautifully clear pair of nights in a long time. The last time I imaged was at the end of last December and everything went flawlessly. (See attached image.) What could have happened in the nearly five months of inactivity is beyond me. I am going to talk with the folks at Astro-Physics and ask for help. Unfortunately, my observatory is 160 miles from my primary residence and for now remains a weekend trip.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• M42ap.jpg
  • yellow cable.jpg

• zjc26138 likes this

#2 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Vostok 1

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

Absolutely incredible image !

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Thank you, Steve. I am actually going to anchor the cable bundle to the mounting plate this weekend to eliminate any drag on the rig. I hope to see improvement from this move.

Michael

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

This is the latest cable management. (But I have other woes with the pointing of the mount which will need future attention.)

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics