•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What in the world is a SVBONY helical focuser good for?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

I bought one of these things.  https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

And I have been losing sleep trying to figure out how to use it.  Like all SVBONY products that I have bought, it is very nicely machined, and sold for a very good price.  But I have not been able to think of a single way to use it with my equipment.  It is either too long, or has too small of a bore or...

So help me out here.  I know you all bought one too.  What have you done with yours?

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Mariner 2

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:25 PM

The one I have works great on my ZWO OAG.

#3 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

I bought one for my AT102ED, but it's extra length makes it impossible to 'Focus", as there is not enough "in" focus room. I have a ATM project that will likely need lengthening of the tube assembly, so I plan on keeping the helical unit to add an extra 2" to the total tube assembly length. 

#4 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

I originally got a T-2 threaded one for my Celestron Comet Catcher. Since the Vixen sled focuser on there are known to develop issues, I figured it would be a good buy for Just in Case... It worked great for fine focus. cool.gif  Since they are a good price, I picked up the proper 36mm threaded one. Fits right on, but haven't had time to use that one more than a few times but it works as advertised. Though, I only use 1.25" stuff in it.

The T-thread version will be going on a ATM 50mm f/6 Finder that I'm currently brainstorming / planning out. I think one of these for a finderscope or OAG is probably it's best usage. IMHO.

Here is the first one I bought on my Comet Catcher. 

CCC Sled Focuser 01

Cheers,

T

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics