•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Blue Images on ASI183mcPRO w/ L-Pro Filter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slabkoff

slabkoff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

I'm sure this topic has been covered a bazillion times on CN - however this is the Bazllion and 1 time:

I've recently started shooting w/ a ASI183mcPRO astro cam.  I also live outside NYC and have an L-Pro (Optolong) filter on my rig.  All my images are coming up BLUE (expected as the filter is blue). But how do I compensate for this?  On a DSLR, I'd shoot a custom white balance and apply to all frames. Here, I'm stumped.  I shot M13 last night and the entire thing was yellow/green (due to the blue fitlter).  I have no idea how to correct this in PixInsight nor in Photoshop - as the tint is just far too much for a normal correction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My rig:

AT92mm refractor

ZWO ASI183mcPRO cam

L-Pro Optolong Filter for LP

Processing in PixInsight and Photoshop - had to give up Lightroom due to no XISF or FITS reader for Photoshop/Lightroom

Acquistion software is "AstroImager" or "FireCapture". I'm having issues w/ ZWO's native package for other reasons and have stopped using it.

Help!

Thanks in advance

#2 imtl

imtl

Messenger

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:12 PM

uploading a raw light frame will be helpful to see what is going on

#3 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:21 PM

In Pixinsight:

Process->ColorCalibration->BackgroundNeutralization.

Use a preview window to take a sample of the background with no stars. Use that as the reference image. Apply the tool to your image.

-Jim

#4 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

My images always have a color cast after stacking in Pixinsight. I don't know if its the L-Pro or my flats or light pollution or a combo.

Running DBE or ABE will get rid of the cast and then Photometric Color Calibration will fix the colors and neutralize the background.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics