•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon - Mare Nectaris and crater Frascatorius

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MJB

MJB

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:17 AM

My first lunar sketch attempt for quite a long time - I'm trying to improve my selenography and sketching seems to be a way forward. Seeing was pretty fast and boiling so I kept at low power around 46x. Terminator was near western wall of crater Frascatorius. I was reminded again tonight that getting comfortable at the eyepiece so that you can concentrate on the view is so important. It takes a while to just relax, get still and hold the image. I have to figure out some sketch techniques - I like the recent post by frank5817 using black paper and white chalks, I'll have to try that.

Attached Thumbnails

• MareNectaris.JPG

• zjc26138, frank5817, Mel Bartels and 10 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

Mike,

Nice sketch of Moon - Mare Nectaris and Crater Frascatorius smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• MJB likes this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

Mike,

Thank you for the compliment. Very nice sketch.

My daughter and I were admiring crater Frascastorius exiting the darkness last night before the Moon set.

Frank :)

• MJB likes this

#4 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

Mike, nice sketch. I think sketching lunar features is a great way to remember them as you said.  Black paper seems a natural for the moon so give it a shot. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cindy

• MJB likes this

#5 MJB

MJB

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I found some black paper and white pencils today so I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I've looked through some of the galleries posted by others and it seems like the bar is set pretty high, there are some impressive sketches on CN. Glad to have found this forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics