•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IPolar help needed

imaging
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:59 AM

Need some help around iOptron's iPolar.

This is the second night in a row I cant get it to work.

All is connected properly.

I open the iPolar software (latest version), connect....and then all sorts of stuff starts happening. Yes I did take the dark shot.

It moves from recognizing many starts and successful problem solve to 0.5 sec later failed status, while plate solving and recognizing 29+ stars.

The red dot moves like a yoyo, up/down/left/right/on screen/off screen, etc.... the arrow is one moment down, then right...etc. You get the drift.

I never even get a chance to do the position 1 and position 2 lock!

How do I do camera calibration?

I am stuck at this point and have no idea on how to move forward!

please help!

thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:30 AM

What Ipolar are you using? External or internal? Are you sure it is secured properly?

Did you make sure your mount is secured to the tripod?

Unless your light pollution is absolutely terrible and your seeing conditions have been horrific then it should be much more stable.

#3 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

What Ipolar are you using? External or internal? Are you sure it is secured properly?
Did you make sure your mount is secured to the tripod?

Unless your light pollution is absolutely terrible and your seeing conditions have been horrific then it should be much more stable.

Its the internal version. Part of the CEM60 EC.
I am in a light polluted area but i pick up 29+ stars in less than 2 sec.

Mount and tripod are secure and all is nicely tightened.

I am on my deck but there is no movement at all that I can feel. Hope that is not the issue.

Edited by paolop, 27 May 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

I am on my deck but there is no movement at all that I can feel. Hope that is not the issue.

I would bet that it's a strong contributor.

• xiando and paolop like this

#5 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

I would bet that it's a strong contributor.

Shoot....that is not good news! I might need to rethink this...and find a better spot which will not be easy in my backyard set up....

• B 26354 likes this

#6 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

Well... at the very least, set it up somewhere in your yard where you can do the alignment procedure. It won't matter whether or not it's a great spot for actually doing any observing or AP. If you're able to successfully perform the alignment... then you'll know it was the deck.

This is my setup:

CEM on Oberwerk 4cn.jpg

Tripod is solid as a rock, and is on anti-vibration pads. Cement driveway. I only weigh 140 pounds... but if I stamp my foot on the driveway near the tripod when the iPolar screen is active, the display moves.

That's why I think it's your deck. Find a solid-ground setup spot... and tread lightly. When my camera is operating, I sit motionless in a chair, and only move around when it's not actually taking an exposure.

biggrin.png

#7 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:44 AM

Shoot....that is not good news! I might need to rethink this...and find a better spot which will not be easy in my backyard set up....

Can you turn your computer to face you and step off the deck? If it settles down, then you have your answer.

I used to image from a deck and the smallest movement translated to an earthquake. I ended up at the time buying a long powered USB cord to get the computer and myself off the deck.

• paolop likes this

#8 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

Can you turn your computer to face you and step off the deck? If it settles down, then you have your answer.

I used to image from a deck and the smallest movement translated to an earthquake. I ended up at the time buying a long powered USB cord to get the computer and myself off the deck.

Tonight I will try from the street....and will see how that goes

#9 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:21 PM

I'd be very interested to know how this turns out, since I have a CEM40 with an internal iPolar and was going to try to use it from my deck.

#10 Notarobot

Notarobot

Lift Off

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:31 PM

I had a similar experience when I set up on the lawn in my backyard. 

#11 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:33 PM

I had a similar experience when I set up on the lawn in my backyard. 

was your lawn unstable? i would think that would work

#12 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Might be the camera. I just bought a CEM40 and the iPolar died within about a minute of plugging in and installing drivers. IOptron support seems to be taking good care of me though. They're going to replace it.

#13 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:41 AM

Might be the camera. I just bought a CEM40 and the iPolar died within about a minute of plugging in and installing drivers. IOptron support seems to be taking good care of me though. They're going to replace it.

how did you know it was the camera?

#14 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

OK 3rd time fail now....this is getting ridiculous.

I thought that deck was indeed the issue but on concrete street between two houses I got the same results!

Lets see if the video will help...

IMG 2708
Album: test
1 images
0 comments

#15 JPKellysr

JPKellysr

Viking 1

• Loc: Genoa, Nevada, USA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:47 AM

Decks are hard to work with. I put a heavy concrete block sitting on a garage floor rubber pad on the deck with the tripod sitting on it. It damped out some of the vibrations.

#16 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:50 AM

Decks are hard to work with. I put a heavy concrete block sitting on a garage floor rubber pad on the deck with the tripod sitting on it. It damped out some of the vibrations.

Tonight I was not on the deck....but on concrete street....same thing!

#17 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:38 AM

#18 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

?

#19 Notarobot

Notarobot

Lift Off

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

was your lawn unstable? i would think that would work

Very thick matted grass, no firm footing, but it worked fine on the brick patio.

#20 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

After I plugged it in the 1st time Win discovered it and installed drivers. Next step is to verify that it's in Device Manager under Cameras. It was, but the list refreshed while I was looking at it and it was gone. Tried other ports, a different cable and even another computer. No response. It's dead.

#21 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

After I plugged it in the 1st time Win discovered it and installed drivers. Next step is to verify that it's in Device Manager under Cameras. It was, but the list refreshed while I was looking at it and it was gone. Tried other ports, a different cable and even another computer. No response. It's dead.

OK that is a clear indicator. I get it

#22 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

Sorry about that fat finger 1st reply. As part of the troubleshooting, iOptron had me remove the camera from its housing and the board from the back of the mount and verify that the connections were all secure and no obvious visible damage.
  • paolop likes this

#23 paolop

paolop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

Sorry about that fat finger 1st reply. As part of the troubleshooting, iOptron had me remove the camera from its housing and the board from the back of the mount and verify that the connections were all secure and no obvious visible damage.

no worries. was that easy to do?

#24 cjohnsonsr

cjohnsonsr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

Piece of cake. The back panel with the iPolar and USB ports is just 4 screws holding a plate with the board mounted to it. The wires run straight through the RA(?) axis to the camera in the front and the other USB port on the cable management panel. On the front, the camera housing is covered by the counterweight shaft housing. 1 hex socket screw and 2 regular hex set screws. Then the camera is held in its housing by 2 smaller hex set screws inside the front ring of the camera body. The camera body has a flat spot so you can align it to the housing properly when reinstalling. Only took me about 30 minutes to disassemble, inspect and reassemble even though I was taking my time and getting pics to document what I found for iOptron support. I should mention that I have a CEM40. I'm pretty sure you said you have a CEM60. I'd be surprised if there was very much difference, but there could be some difference. I'd talk to iOptron support just to be sure.
  • paolop likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics