•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interesting video: cheap vs expensive setup results

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arjv

arjv

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:50 AM

https://youtu.be/JRoFUj0cNt8
What do people think? Are we spending more than we should be in this hobby?

#2 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Messenger

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:27 AM

So, you CAN get into this hobby on the cheap!  I am sure there is a little luck when looking for the cheap used stuff, plus one needs some technical know-how to fix the stuff that is (frankly) past its useful life span, but for a challenge it seems quite do-able.

I WOULD like to know how long his cheap set-up will last.  A $6000 (actually, it ought to be Pounds, but my 'pounds' button doesn't work) set-up that lasts 10 years, compared to a $600 (ditto) rig that dies each year isn't much savings.  PLUS the headache of it all.  Again, technical know-how so he can fix it when it dies is probably key to this.

#3 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:27 AM

I have no shame.

LOL! ROTFLOL!

Look at his dome.

Now look at my Dome.

32 Gallon Dome W

Except, his dome cost ~ $44 USD
Mine cost me $9.98 6 years ago at Lowe's.

#4 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:33 AM

So, you CAN get into this hobby on the cheap!  I am sure there is a little luck when looking for the cheap used stuff, plus one needs some technical know-how to fix the stuff that is (frankly) past its useful life span, but for a challenge it seems quite do-able.

I WOULD like to know how long his cheap set-up will last.  A $6000 (actually, it ought to be Pounds, but my 'pounds' button doesn't work) set-up that lasts 10 years, compared to a $600 (ditto) rig that dies each year isn't much savings.  PLUS the headache of it all.  Again, technical know-how so he can fix it when it dies is probably key to this.

Knowledge is power Sleep Deprived...

Look up ALT codes.

Hold your Alt key, type 156, release Alt key. £

Here's your Pound Sterling sign! Blimey!

flowerred.gif

#5 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:21 AM

Yes, we are.

Unfortunately a lot is lack of knowledge, lack of willing to learn, strange ideas that only having an app is the way forward and often ego.

Apps are the funny one: Have to have one for each action, then often have to ask how to use it/them.

Then App A doesn't work with App B and neither will ever consider operating with App C.

Being honest the one I have read yet, is "My windows app won't work on my Mac?"

Bottom line imaging I have found is Eq5, 72 ED refractor and a DSLR. Throw in an Intervalometer and a flattener and new it is around £1200, maybe $1500-1600.

Learn to polar align, forget guiding, take 40-60 second exposures. Relax, take it easy, have fun.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics