•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anacortes Telescope Star Party

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:28 PM

Last night I attended the first day of a two day star party at Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird. The weather was not very cooperative as it was 60% cloud cover, 25 mph winds and a temperature of about 48*F. The folks at ATWB did a nice job sponsoring the event but were distracted a little by about 20 3rd graders that were overly excited. However, the kids were fascinated and amazed when they got to look at Saturn. Future astronomers! The shop set up an 8" and 11" Meade GPS Go-To. There was also a 12" home made Dob. I got to look through all the scopes present but had to wait till after everyone had left before they brought out the Takahashi 22X60 binoculars and a new Megrez II APO 80mm scope. The Moon, Jupiter and Venus were the only objects visible by the time I got to observe. I was able to compare the Megrez II APO and the Takahshi 22x60 by observing the Moon, Jupiter and Venus.
The Tak 22x60 showed the most beautiful view of the Moon I have ever seen. Very crisp, tack-sharp image and zero C.A.!
In fact, I had managed to briefly observe the Moon in most of the scopes I looked through before I looked through the Tak including the Megrez II APO. In my newbie opinion, and the opinion of a few experienced observers, the view through the little Taks was superior in every way. Extremely sharp contrast, with a very black background, no false color, and tack-sharp images. I did not notice much if any edge softness. I looked at Venus briefly, and again a clear image with zero color fringing. The view through the Taks was clearer than the Megrez, in my opinion, and in the opinion of those that also compared the two.
I was unable to test any other binoculars as I spent my aloted time with the Megrez and the Takahashi. The sky conditions were not clear enough to look at any DSOs but did look at Jupiter and saw 4 moons as perfect points and no spikes or distortions looking at the Jovian sphere.
In conclusion, I liked the Taks very much. I just wished the objectives were 80 to 100mm and would like to compare them to the Miyauchi 22x77 and 100mm before I would recommend them.
Hope this is useful
Jim

#2 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the report, Jim. I'd love to have a look through those Tak 22x60s, myself.

Mike Swaim

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:43 PM

Jim;

You've commented on the Tak's before - are you closer to buying them now?

Sky&Telescope did a review on them a while back - year or two ago - and were very well thought of.

#4 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

Ron,
I am very impressed with them. The only thing holding me back is the price and I would really like to compare them to the Miyauchi 20x77 and 20-37x100mm. I like the interchangable EPs and the 45* angled viewing of the Miyauchis. I just don't know how they compare optically and image quality. If I get a chance to look through some Miyauchis and I like the image as much as the Taks, I would pay a little less for the 20x77s and twice as much for the 20x100 Galaxy's.
I am concerned that with a 60mm objective of the Takahashi I would be limited to what I'll be able to see vs. a 100mm.
I am not in any big hurry to decide but think I would enjoy something a little larger than my current 70mm. So at the moment, I am considering the Oberwerk BT100, the Miyauchi 77mm and 100mm, the Oberwerk 22x100, and of course the Tak 22x60 for its optical quality.

#5 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:53 PM

Jim, I think you should definitely add the Miyauchi Saturn NBA 71s to your short list of choices. The contrast in those at the 2 lower power offerings has to be seen to be appreciated.

Just a thought,
Mike Swaim

#6 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:48 PM

OK thanks Mike, I have read good reviews, so I will add those to the list. My list will probably grow as I am willing to consider all recommendations.
Thanks,
Jim

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for your report, Jim. I heard the eye relief and FOV isn't too good on the Tak - what's your impression in this respect?

#8 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:54 PM

Ken K,
I was not able to measure the FOV due to cloud cover. However, if my memory is accurate, the FOV was better than the Megrez 80 APO that I looked through along side of the Takahashi. My only three clear targets were the Moon, Venus and Jupiter. The FOV is advertised at about 2.1* and I think that is pretty accurate.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics