•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion RV6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

We have been having some nice weather so I have been getting in a couple of hours just about every night. Last night I decided to pull out the RV-6 after nights of an 8 inch SCT, a 130mm F/5 Newt, a 12.5 inch F/4.06 Newt...

My first view was M7 with a Japanese Meade 40mm MA. M7 is one of my favorites and I know it well and spend time every evening viewing it. It is low here in San Diego and mired in the muck of light pollution...

My first look through the eyepiece was at an awkward angle so it was a glimpse but I was stunned at the contrast and sharpness, I had to think, was that real or did I just imagine it. I went back for more and indeed...

What magic these old scopes can conjure from the night sky... Sometimes one gets a WOW from looking through a big scope but this was big WOW simply from looking at a perfect view of a favorite target, such bright pinpoint stars and so dark even with the light pollution...

Yes, I have often accused this scope of wizardry and deception, and it is true. I don't share the night sky with this old wizard because its a classic, we are together because it truly does provide remarkable views.

Best wishes to all and I hope it is clear where you might be tonight...

Jon

#27 kfred

kfred

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

I want a classic scope; how can you find them at?

Fred

#28 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Always loved the views of my RV6 I bought in 1961. But for a couple of decades it was relegated to the closet as I had "better" scopes. Several years ago a neighbor brought his RV6 to my yard as I was observing Jupiter with my early version 6 INCH APO Astro Physics Refractor. I helped him get it collimated, pointed at Jupiter and whamo...the view rivaled my very expensive refractor. Nothing wrong with my scope but the humble RV6 could equal if not surpass its views on a side by side, same power, same eyepiece comparison. That motivated me to renovate my RV6 and it now looks and performs like new.
Bonco

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

>>>I want a classic scope; how can you find them at?

Fred
----

I keep my eyes open locally, classifed ads in the newspaper, garage sales, various online for sale resources... A hit is somewhat rare but it only takes one hit to have a classic scope and sometimes the price is quite surprising. My second RV-6 was a "I need to get rid of this today" for $40.

Jon

#30 criterion

criterion

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

Update, I'm taking the whole scope into the shop tomorrow. The motor works if I hook it up to the worm drive, but don't connect to the clutch gear, but once everything is put together, it don't move at all.

I finally got some sky time on it tonite and zero tracking, no difference between having it plugged in or not.

Views were good though, very good Jupiter view, the optics are still great, even if my eyepieces are a bit dusty...

#31 criterion

criterion

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

I just got the scope back, they fixed it right this time.

First time in many many years I have been able to put the scope on a planet, go inside for 10 minutes, go back out and its still there!

Its not tracking 100% yet, I still have some minor adjustments to make.

Now, trying to figure out the setting circles again....

OLD SCHOOL!!

#32 criterion

criterion

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:04 AM

Nothing like a tiny thing to throw every thing off.

The wing nut that tightens the declination axis sheared in half. Grrr.

Thankfully, I was able to work out the rest of the screw.

#33 FarrOut

FarrOut

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

I just ran across this thread, sorry I hadn't found it sooner.
I've been working with an RV6 for awhile and have come up with some tricks you may find helpful.
First, as mentioned, balance is everything. The motor has very little torque, and can only over come a small amount of weight. I developed a small tool that I use to check the balance of my system.
Posted Image
It's basically just a piece of 1/8" brass rod with a slot cut on one end. You can 'feel' the torque requred to move the worm gear. With everything mounted, you can get everything aligned. It also helps with getting the worm gear in proper alignment and to detect binding.

I had to add a 2.5 pound weight to the mirror end of my OTA after changing to a Right Angle view finder, swapping out the focuser, and adding a Rigel.

Hope this helps.

#34 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

>>>I had to add a 2.5 pound weight to the mirror end of my OTA after changing to a Right Angle view finder, swapping out the focuser, and adding a Rigel.

Hope this helps.
----

Curious why you added the weight. Moving the scope down a bit towards the mirror should have balanced it in the dec axis, moving the counter weight should have balanced it in the RA axis. Just wondering??

Jon

#35 FarrOut

FarrOut

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Curious why you added the weight. Moving the scope down a bit towards the mirror should have balanced it in the dec axis, moving the counter weight should have balanced it in the RA axis. Just wondering??

Jon

Mostly for the rotational balance. I found that adding all the weight to one side of the tube caused problems in certain orientations as the mount swung through it's arc.
I thought I had a picture of the process, but what I did was to place the tube on a couple of 2x4 pieces of wood so it could roll, then add weight at the mirror end until it was balanced. It made a difference.
Posted Image
It's not pretty, but it works.

#36 criterion

criterion

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

Y'all ain't gonna believe this....

After about 2 hours of tracking, the motor quit.

I opened it up, and got the motor to work again, but after about 30 seconds, it squeals and stops.

The store I took it to originally removed my old motor and they had another motor and installed that. Well, that didn't work, as it turned the worm, but when attached to the gear the clutch wouldn't engage.

So I took it back, they reinstalled my old motor (it was all rusty, they cleaned it up and greased it) and I have essentially paid them $80 to do nothing.

Mind you, I went in there with a brand new motor that I wanted them to use by moving the drive shaft (arm?) from the old motor to the new motor, but they didn't want to do that.

Needless to say, I'm not happy, and the shop is closed for a week while they are on vacation.

grrrrrrrr

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics