•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saw y shaped halo under Vega

observing
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 theabsurdist8

theabsurdist8

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

Sorry. This is my first post so I don't know what category this is. Today, while walking my dog, I see this unusual halo underneath Vega - east of Cygnus. It was shaped like a Y and i assumed it was a cloud and ignored it. But then, as I watched it more, I started to notice some kind of texture to the light I was seeing. I thought, maybe I am observing some cluster of the milkyway but it was rather odd because where I live the bortle level is at best 5. 

Anyway, by the time I got home and pulled the DSLR out it was almost completely invisible to my eyes. I still took an image at iso 1600, 30 second exposure f/3.5. 

I didn't have time to grab my tripod, or mount or cls filter. So this was taken by placing the camera on the car hood with something wedged under it. I know the picture has trailing. 

Here is the photo - with and without exposure changed on photoshop

#2 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

Interesting. Where and when was this picture taken?

#3 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:23 AM

Looks very similar to images I have seen  of satellites venting fuel.

• theabsurdist8 likes this

#4 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

I see that it is pointing directly away from that bright streetlight...

#5 theabsurdist8

theabsurdist8

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

Looks very similar to images I have seen of satellites venting fuel.

Yeah. I just checked out some images. Is that visible without visual aid though?

#6 theabsurdist8

theabsurdist8

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

Interesting. Where and when was this picture taken?

It's taken in Brampton Ontario, Canada. I took it yesterday at around 10 pm est.

#7 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:43 AM

Sorry. This is my first post so I don't know what category this is. Today, while walking my dog, I see this unusual halo underneath Vega - east of Cygnus. It was shaped like a Y and i assumed it was a cloud and ignored it. But then, as I watched it more, I started to notice some kind of texture to the light I was seeing. I thought, maybe I am observing some cluster of the milkyway but it was rather odd because where I live the bortle level is at best 5.
Anyway, by the time I got home and pulled the DSLR out it was almost completely invisible to my eyes. I still took an image at iso 1600, 30 second exposure f/3.5.

I didn't have time to grab my tripod, or mount or cls filter. So this was taken by placing the camera on the car hood with something wedged under it. I know the picture has trailing.

Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing, but that looks like a lens flare caustic to me.

#8 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

Definitely lens flare.  The 'ghost' image of the bright light to the lower left.  Note that a line joining the 'ghost' with its source goes precisely through the centre of the frame and that the 'ghost' and the source are equidistant from the centre of the frame....

That explains the photo, at least.

But your seeing the same thing visually first???????  That's a bigger mystery.  Possibly lens flare in your glasses or contact lenses?  

Dave

#9 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

Interesting!

Need more information to really evaluate this.

Were you moving when you first noticed this?

Was the "halo" moving or did you ever notice it having moved?  If so, how fast and how far?

How long from when you first noticed it until you got home and took the photo?

Was it much brighter at any time you saw it compared to when you took the photo?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but when trying to evaluate something like this, we need all of the info we can get.  Any other information you can provide about this sighting might also be helpful.

Thanks for posting about your sighting of this very interesting mysterious object!

Rick

#10 theabsurdist8

theabsurdist8

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:42 AM

Interesting!

Need more information to really evaluate this.

Were you moving when you first noticed this?

Was the "halo" moving or did you ever notice it having moved?  If so, how fast and how far?

How long from when you first noticed it until you got home and took the photo?

Was it much brighter at any time you saw it compared to when you took the photo?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but when trying to evaluate something like this, we need all of the info we can get.  Any other information you can provide about this sighting might also be helpful.

Thanks for posting about your sighting of this very interesting mysterious object!

Rick

Hey Rick

I was moving when I noticed it and it was not moving but was getting duller. 

#11 theabsurdist8

theabsurdist8

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:44 AM

The general consensus seems like it was just a lens flare. I agree after a careful evaluation of the image. 

However, whatever I saw before was much different, had a sort of dull whitish look to it. Vega was between the v shape of the letter Y. 

I guess I'm just a human. We all see patterns in things which might just be random (like Jesus on toast) - maybe it was just a cloud or jetstream

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics