•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 4631 and friends

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

The Whale galaxy, ngc 4631 and the pup, ngc 4627 upper right in the image. The Hockey Stick galaxy ngc 4657 at lower left.

Crunchy stars due to my limited processing abilities and Celestron C8 which always seems to give me star bloat no matter

how well I nail the focus ! I imaged this over two nights and came away with just over 5 hours of exposure time.

-details.. details... 

Celestron C8 SCT w/.63 focal reducer - Losmandy GM8 gemini2 - ASI 294mc pro @ -15c unity gain.

105 x 180" lights, 25 flats, 25 flat darks, 15 darks - PHD2 guiding with piggybacked WO ZS66 .

DeepSky Stacker - Photoshop CS5 for post processing.

This is my result so far but like most of us, I probably wont be able to leave it alone...

Cheers!

-Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC4631_and friends.jpg

• Gregory, R Botero, chrysalis and 1 other like this

#2 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

Skyshooter,

Focus, guiding and processing look great to me!

Ron Abbott

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

look good , very nice , details and colors .

thanks .

#4 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words... I can't wait for the nebulae of summer... My refractor has spoiled me. Much tighter stars. Then again the focal length is only 630mm as opposed to 1280mm with the reducer on my SCT.

I've spent loads of time on collimation, my phd graph was averaging .60 rms... Still the funky stars. Still fun though and am learning a lot from the folks here on Cloudy Nights !

Cheers and Clear Skies...

-Ed

• sunnyday likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics