•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement parts for focuser

equipment Meade
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoshJ

JoshJ

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Titusville, FL

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:53 AM

A couple years ago I became the proud owner of a 35(?)-year old Meade DS-16 scope. It has unfortunately been used exactly 3 time since then, due to the massive size and amount of work required to get it set up for an evening. To remedy this, I'm going to be building a pier in my backyard, but want to get a few other things taken care of as well. For the most part, the scope is in good condition. However, there are a couple of issue with the focuser:

Although I'm fairly certain the focuser could take 2" eyepieces, it has a screwed-on 1 1/4 adapter (see pictures). When I bought it, there was no coupler to work with 2" eyepieces. Is this something that can be purchased? Or is this focuser actually not meant for 2" eyepieces, even though it's so wide?

Also, the focuser helical pinion gear has 2 missing teeth in one spot. Although it's not completely unusable, it does make focusing occasionally difficult. Is it possible to replace the pinion on the focuser?

And with these two combined issues, would it be better to just replace the entire focuser? I've been having difficulty finding a good focuser that will work with a 16" scope, without costing an arm and a leg.

Attached Thumbnails

• focuser1.jpg
  • focuser2.jpg

Edited by JoshJ, 28 May 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#2 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

Replace it.

GSO from Scope Stuff or Agena Astro or better yet a Moonlite.

You will probably need some spacers to get the height right.

• JoshJ, GrafikDihzahyn and Steve Cox like this

#3 JoshJ

JoshJ

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

Replace it.

GSO from Scope Stuff or Agena Astro or better yet a Moonlite.

You will probably need some spacers to get the height right.

Alrighty, will do. I was afraid that was going to be the answer :) For a 16” scope, would it be smarter to get the focuser for a 12-14”, or get the one with a flat base?

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

Talk to Jim at ScopeStuff- he's great.  If you end up needing a spacer block for a flat-based focuser, I'd make you one from 3/4" Baltic Birch for the price of postage.

Edited by kfiscus, 28 May 2020 - 03:47 PM.

• Hilbily likes this

#5 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

With Ken's gracious offer Id talk to Jim and get the flat base from scope stuff and the radius adapter block from Ken, unless you can make one.

I've put one of the 12" GSO focusers on a old 12-1/2" Meade and it still needed a couple plywood risers to get up to the focal plane and some foam to block light where the radius didn't quite match the sonotube. 

With the Moonlite they sell an adapter kit for the CR focuser with several spacers for a 16" and several choices of mounting bolt patterns. The Moonlite cost's more but will fit the radius of the tube better with less parts to make and a little bit easier install. 

With either one it's going to be a lot better than what you have, you may have to drill a new set of mounting holes and enlarge the focuser hole in the tube. to mark the new holes, align the focuser to be looking at a 180* mark on the other side of the tube so it will be centered and aligned with the light path from the diagonal.

• SteveG likes this

#6 JoshJ

JoshJ

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:21 AM

Alright! I'm ordering a GSO from ScopeStuff. I'm handy enough with tools, so I should be able to make an adapter for the flat base focuser, but thank you very much for the offer, Ken!

Is there a reason to add more spacers beneath the focuser instead of getting a barrel extension to put on the end of the focuser? The focuser I have already has almost 3" of travel, which isn't enough. I already need an extension for visual observing, but the beginning of the focal range is just perfect for prime photography. I was thinking of getting the 80mm barrel extension, which should take care of the range I need.

Would it be better to move the focuser out and use a shorter extension?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics