•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Conclusive proof that Murphy & entropy are holding hands......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:14 AM

I had to fix a new plastic box in my observatory & used a drill to make the appropriate fixing holes.

I moved all the essential cables sideways so I would not drill through anything other than the wood to mount the screws.

However, as always, there was a cable I did not see- and guess what "Murphy" moved the cable so it was exactly under the wood I was drilling through and then entropy stuck his nose in ensuring that the cable was aligned almost exactly with the drill bit- the chances of this happening by chance must be like winning the lottery- it mostly is not going to happen. I drilled straight through the 48V power cable for the Paramount MX+- but as always when doing this work there was no power connected to the accessories.

I proudly finished the job- turned everything back on & no Paramount initialised. I thought the PSU had died in the interim as a meter showed no 48 volts. So I rummaged around & removed the PSU & examined the cable- with the beautiful hole drilled straight through the cable. I was fortunate that there was no power connected & I had an Anderson power-pole kit on hand to repair the broken section of cable. A picture of the damage is below.

cabledrill.JPG

Be careful guys with your equipment......Murphy & entropy are waiting to get you!

Stay Safe!

Best wishes

Mark

Edited by pyrasanth, 29 May 2020 - 02:08 PM.

• SteveG, eros312, Tom K and 2 others like this

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:25 AM

Lucky for you, Murphy was slowly losing his grip...or you would have shorted the not too inexpensive 48v PSU, because you had not turned off the power.

Edited by MikiSJ, 29 May 2020 - 03:30 AM.

• pyrasanth likes this

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:29 AM

A hole in one !

at least you were able to repair it ...

Mark

Edited by clusterbuster, 29 May 2020 - 03:30 AM.

• pyrasanth likes this

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:43 AM

Lucky for you, Murphy was slowly losing his grip...or you would have shorted the not too inexpensive 48v PSU, because you had not turned off the power.

I suspect that if power was connected it would have taken out the MKS5000 board & it was lucky when powered back on that the drill had effectively severed the power- a short circuit would have been a disaster !

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:44 AM

A hole in one !

at least you were able to repair it ...

Mark

Anderson power-pole connectors are wonderful for fixing this type of issue- I'm really glad that I learnt to use them.

• clusterbuster likes this

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

They should be in everyone's kit for just that reason - sooner or later you're going to but a cable and they are so much easier to use than splicing things together. 

Rgrds-Ross

• pyrasanth likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics