•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Exsplore scientific 2”UHC nebula or optolong L-pro broadband broadband 2” filter.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:01 AM

hi guys 

ive been left in a bit of a dilemma in which best UHC filter to go for and would be much appreciated in fellow members who have had any experience useing them.this would be for visual purposes only.

my current line up of 2” filters consist of baader sky and moon glow,and Exsplore scientific OIII which is a must on certain objects.I do understand that filters are no miracle cure here and only subtle differences are noticed.then on the other side of the coin it can make or break in actually seeing certain objects in first place.regarding the baader I already own is ok-ish in my sky conditions but visually on the moon seems to be a bit waste of time (moon glow) part when near full phase so bright with a 12-14” scope so maybe best at some stage in looking at a dedicated moon filter only.

which brings to my topic heading UHC nebula filters which is the best to go for or is there a definition of best!?.I was told by my respected dealer that the UHC filters would be the more happy medium between the two I already own as what I would like to achieve is something like the OIII filter but able to see more image brightness while remaining contrast and slighty more detail regarding nebulous objects.

so there is the ES UHC 2” filter and the other company optolong which from my gathering is of Chinese origin (no surprises there then)as most things are.

ive only noticed this particular brand name here in the uk for around a year now and it’s actuall performance and quality I know absolutely nothing about.so if I considered this I don,t want to go in blind in a purchase on a whim as filters go for visual it’s not cheap at $175 or there abouts 

so my question is to you guys does it actually do what it says on the tin as I’m a little bit sceptical abouts this as from reading the description the filter and from what I can gather it’s like a wounder filter of some kind and replaces by the sound of things my two existing filters is this true!?.as from my knowledge it is a multi broadband filter that works between the exsisting UHC and OIII filters and the objects will have similar characteristics as if combining the two together as I would sway towards the UHC filter as I would like to see more image brightness instead at times the OIII can deliver a more of a blob so to speak and lacking definition in the image and contrast,and definitely brightness.

#2 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

Why not raise your budget from 175 to 200 and get a filter which is known to be one of the best?

As Don says here:

If you go for a TeleVue or Astronomik or Lumicon filter you are guaranteed to get a state of the art filter

The Astronomik filters are easier to get hold of in Europe than the other two, for which you'll have to pay a bit more.

Check out the UHC.

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:33 AM

thankyou for that yes one of my dealers here in uk do the astronomic 2” UHC filter For £179.00 yes a little bit more I wanted to pay out really.i just don,t want it to be another one of those scenarios spot the difference kind of thing and feeling short changed.(are there any reviews!?)I’m definitely not tight regarding spending money on my Astro gear it’s similer analogy like going and buying an doublet ED refractor for visual purposes and exspecting a huge gain in performance in a Triplet as the Triplet is mainly for imaging use flatter feild of view.

#4 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

There aren't that many "official" reviews that I can find. Only this one really.

But there are lots of comments from people, both here on Cloudy Nights and also on Stargazers Lounge (and probably elsewhere, too, but those two are the main forums I read).

Here are links to Google search results for SGL and CN

Edited by AaronF, 29 May 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#5 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

Also, you might want to look into the Baader UHC-S - as you mentioned wanting a slightly brighter image - it's less aggressive than the standard UHC filters.

I don't personally have one, but would like to get one one day when I run out of other astronomy toys to buy :D

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:56 AM

thankyou I understand about the toys thing!? Soon as you think you finished upgrading your kit something else a little bit better comes out.in process of upgrading my eyepieces at moment

• AaronF likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics