•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Transient Solar Feature

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

Yesterday, 5/28/20, between 7:30pm and 8:15pm ET I watched a very bright "dome" rise up on the sun's surface. It was near another very large prominence that looked a little like an Apollo Lunar Module. I watched it rise up and then it gradually shrank and disappeared. I was surprised by its solid look, brightness and short life.

Did anyone else see this? Did anyone image it?

The sun and its transient events are amazing.

I used a Lunt 80 single stack at 75x.

Joe

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

I guess that's what we call flares... looking straight down on them... I've enjoyed the pleasure of recording those... like an image every minute or less for the duration. A couple of wonderful ones that traveled tens of thousands of miles across the face of the sun in --- sometimes minutes! If you do a lot of ovserving, you will be rewarded with such... maybe once in every few dozen sessions.   Tom

#3 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

Hi Tom,

A flare, could be what it was. I'm not sure what else it could be. I've done a lot of solar observing and I've only seen one other flare that I know of. The flare mentioned on Space Weather occurred today, 5/29/20, at 11:42UT which is 7:42ET so they are two different events. What I saw on the 28th (if I do the arithmetic correctly) was between 23:30UT and 00:15UT. 

I will look at the SDO archive to see if they got it. I'm still hoping someone was imaging at that time. I might have to start imaging myself to capture these events.

Thanks!

Joe

#4 old_frankland

old_frankland

Gemini

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:11 PM

Sounds like a limb flare, a relatively low level flare that rapidly develops and fades, usually associated with the production of a surge prominence.  The flaring can come and go for hours at the same location.  Here's an example of a limb flare and surge.  The flare is probably between us and the down flow prominence in the background of this animation....no way of knowing for sure if they are physically connected.

5193_900.gif

• George9, TOMDEY, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:39 AM

Hi Tom,

A flare, could be what it was. I'm not sure what else it could be. I've done a lot of solar observing and I've only seen one other flare that I know of. The flare mentioned on Space Weather occurred today, 5/29/20, at 11:42UT which is 7:42ET so they are two different events. What I saw on the 28th (if I do the arithmetic correctly) was between 23:30UT and 00:15UT. 

I will look at the SDO archive to see if they got it. I'm still hoping someone was imaging at that time. I might have to start imaging myself to capture these events.

Thanks!

Joe

I have a nice image string of one that I was watching... somewhere in my archives. It was much brighter than the rest of the face of the sun... much brighter and the entire event lasted maybe ten minutes. Amazing, for how big it was... many times bigger than e.g. Jupiter. The total energy generated must have been enormous!   Tom

#6 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:08 AM

Jim,

Great animation!  In 2017 I recall seeing the surge portion of a down flow prominence. The surge was near the limb. It was very impressive and lasted quite a while. I could see the surge (splash?) elements moving around in real time it was quite an event! 

At this point I think it must have been a flare of some kind, it seems to fit the profile. The even I saw was as Tom points out, brighter than the rest of the face of the sun and lasted about 45 minutes. It might have been rebounding but the sun dropped into the trees ending a very memorable session.

Thanks for responding!

Joe

• old_frankland likes this

#7 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:49 PM

Sounds like a limb flare, a relatively low level flare that rapidly develops and fades, usually associated with the production of a surge prominence.  The flaring can come and go for hours at the same location.  Here's an example of a limb flare and surge.  The flare is probably between us and the down flow prominence in the background of this animation....no way of knowing for sure if they are physically connected.

5193_900.gif

Excellent animation Jim.
  • old_frankland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics