•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone had any experiences with Astro Essential eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BGF

BGF

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North East, UK

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:35 AM

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, positive or negative, with Astro Essential eyepieces - or indeed any of their equipment. I've done a little digging myself and found that there's been a couple of posts about them in the past showing they hold up pretty well with more established brands. For some context they're available here: https://www.firstlig...-eyepieces.html

With 7.5-40mm EPs all being under £30 they're incredibly reasonably priced so I'm just a little sceptical (some might say cynical) about their quality for such a price.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

To my eyes, they look exactly like GSO eyepieces.

#3 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

They're not GSO at all. Neither are they Barsta.

sml_gallery_249298_10131_18185.jpg

No doubt made somewhere in the PRC. I bought this 17mm to directly compare with GSO and Barsta Plossls. 

sml_gallery_249298_10131_54274.jpg

In a direct comparison with a 17mm Barsta Plossl (centre below) I found it appeared to have a slightly smaller field stop but apart from that it seemed just as good. Although probably best used at f/6 and slower, like the Barsta.

med_gallery_249298_10131_178013.jpg

The field stop is clearly defined, unlike GSO Plossls, and AFAIK GSO don't make a 17mm. The barrel is chromed brass and the filter threads are smooth and seem very compatible. 

• wrnchhead likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics