•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyTracker Pro, but not SunTracker Pro?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 astroguy8730

astroguy8730

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

So I just had a go around with one of iOptron's distributors. I've had an iOptron iEQ45 mount I bought 2nd hand for about 5-6 years now. It's done pretty well, and their factory service has always been good. So when I decided I'd like to try some "grab and go" Milky Way imaging with my DSLR, I settled on the iOptron SkyTracker Pro. Oddly enough, I had a preference for the unit with red housing. No reason for red other than I like a little color in my life from time to time and the newer one, with the all black housing, just isn't visually appealing to me. Anyway, this particular distributor advertised the red SkyTracker Pro on their website and assured me that the item I was purchasing did indeed have the old style red housing. I agreed and purchased it online, only to receive what everybody else except the factory-authorized distributor already knew...the new housings are all black. 

Point of the matter is that the distributor sent this explanation, which they claim is directly from iOptron, for the change in housing color:

"The red color was discontinued and is no longer available. Explain to the customer there is a functional reason for the color changes. The red ones had issues tracking the sun, which is alleviated by the black body blocking the internal sensor, which caused the issue. I will send you new photos so you may update your website to the current color." 

I've seen a lot of mounts in my day, and never had one that had an internal sensor that is sensitive to light, or the color red. Are they telling me a story about the emperor's new clothes, or is there really an internal sensor that get's angry when it sees the color red (insert joke about "bull" here), or that the solid PVC red housing is somehow less opaque than the Solid Black PVC housing?

Finally, has anyone ever had any trouble tracking the sun with a red SkyTracker Pro? Just curious...

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

I have no doubt whatsoever that the red housing was more "transparent" than the black one.  I'm sure that's the case.

However, I suspect the "sensor" they're referring to was likely some kind of infrared sensor being used to track mount pulses or rates, so not really a "light" sensor.  If that's the case, some red light leaking in could indeed have confused it.

I'm just guessing, of course...:)

• astroguy8730 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics