•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon IS Binoculars - any new upgrades coming?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:29 PM

I was browsing birdforum.net and saw this post mentioning two new stabilized binoculars. The Kite Optics APC 12x42 and 16x42.

They have 42mm objectives, which is the largest aperture I've seen in recently released IS binoculars. Of course, the Canon 15/18x50s do still have bigger apertures, but 42mm is a step in the right direction. They weigh only 0.72kg as well, which is big improvement over the 1.11kg of the Canon 10x42 IS. It remains to be seen if the optical quality and stabilization are as good though.

Based on the design of the battery covers, focusing knob, and power switch, my guess is that these are a Kamakura design internally with a custom shell by the OEM. This brings the possibility that we'll see other brands adopt the design as well in the near future.

They have the two 42mm models and also a pair of 30mm models. They certainly look interesting, They don't mention the use of ED lenses though, and I would hope that the 14mm eye relief in the 16x42 model is a typo.

#27 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:13 AM

They have the two 42mm models and also a pair of 30mm models. They certainly look interesting, They don't mention the use of ED lenses though, and I would hope that the 14mm eye relief in the 16x42 model is a typo.

We need a thread for the new binos. I assume the specs are not typos but a compromise due to the low weight.

#28 RickM.

RickM.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:24 AM

A few of us birders use Canon IS binoculars, but I'm not carrying the 15x50 or 18x50 around for long. I used the Canon 12x36 IS II as my main birding binocular for almost 16 years and have been using the 12x32 IS for more than a year now. 

I have not encountered other birders on local field trips with IS binoculars, but have had several friends buy a pair after trying mine.

Canons lack of marketing to the birding crowd puzzles me. The IS views at 10 or 12 power certainly reveal more detail and allow easier identifications than traditional handheld models. As I've gotten older its benefits have only increased. 

Clear skies, Alan

What binoculars do you use for astronomy, Alan?

#29 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

What binoculars do you use for astronomy, Alan?

Canon 15x50 IS and Swarovski 7x42 SLC, the latter for their 8-degree field and the "context" they provide.

Before giving them to relatives I often used my Canon 12x36 IIs for astronomy. I have not spent much time out under the skies with the 12x32s. 

Clear skies, Alan

• RickM. likes this

#30 mikymike

mikymike

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

Hi guys,

What's strange is that the Canon IS 15x50 are difficult to find in Europe currently (october 2020).

I want to come back in the hobby with this pair for their ease of use. However, except from a few sellers at high prices (Canon at 1400€ for example), all those sellers which had it a few months back are now out of stock.

#31 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

Rumor has it that many optical products are in high demand these days. Don't know about production. I assume China still can meet demand? Maybe look for some APM MS 16x70 instead if you need it before the holidays? Or if that is too much the APM 50mm. They are on sale.

P.S. I did check bhphotovideo.com (in stock, but with shipping and tax will probably hit EUR 1400) and amazon.co.jp (not in stock). You can check different national amazon sites in Europe. Some have the Canon 18x50, but it requires sitting. The 10x42 is very nice too, but hard to find at the moment.

Edited by ihf, 27 October 2020 - 09:55 AM.

#32 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

Probably it is he crazy Corona buying.

Everything is hard to come by these days, in Germany even Toilet Paper is out of stock :-)

Copy-20of-20MMA-05804.jpg

Fortunately beer ist not yet affected :-)

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 27 October 2020 - 10:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics