•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8, that annoying camera mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kenc184

kenc184

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:26 PM

My mid nineties C8 has a piggyback camera bracket which I successfully bashed my
head on twice last night. It also doubles as the support for the carry strap.

Any reason (I have no interest in mounting a camera to it) I shouldn't remove the bracket
cut the offending angled piece off and remount the strap support base?

bracket2.jpg

#2 Bingoin

Bingoin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

Hallo,

no, nothing speaking against. But consider to close the threads again. Take the screws of the camera-mount and check their length.

The mustn't be too long to damage anything in the tube (mirror etc.). If you are unsure, put washers under the screws, as thick as the base

of the camera-mount.

Alternatively you can turn the camera-mount by 180 degree, so the edge shows away from the back of your SCT (and your head ;-) ) ...

Greetings,

Juergen

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:07 PM

You could get a Vixen rail from ADM or Losmandy. that would serve as a very good handle and a much better piggyback system shoud you have a desire to put a camera up there or a small wide field refractor. Or make a slit in a tennis ball and stick it on there:)

Edited by Nippon, 29 May 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

Hallo,

no, nothing speaking against. But consider to close the threads again. Take the screws of the camera-mount and check their length.

The mustn't be too long to damage anything in the tube (mirror etc.). If you are unsure, put washers under the screws, as thick as the base

of the camera-mount.

Except that he isn't permanently removing the the camera mount. He's only cutting off the "camera-platform" section of it, and screwing it right back on.

Alternatively you can turn the camera-mount by 180 degree, so the edge shows away from the back of your SCT (and your head ;-) ) ...

If he did that, he wouldn't be able to use the strap... which he would need to remove.

grin.gif

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

You'll need shorter bolts if you want to fill the holes - the ends of those will collide with the mirror when focussing.

#6 kenc184

kenc184

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:01 PM

You'll need shorter bolts if you want to fill the holes - the ends of those will collide with the mirror when focussing.

I'm just talking about cutting the camera mount "angle iron"off, and leaving behind the part that mounts the strap.
  • Don W likes this

#7 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

My answer to your question is, yes, you can do exactly what you are saying. Cut the angled part off but leave the base.

#8 kenc184

kenc184

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

Thanks all!

Just needs a slop of paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• bracket4.jpg

• Don W, Nippon, telesonic and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics