•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synscan GoTo tracking of planets not accurate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carlosm

carlosm

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: México

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

Hello all,

This is my situation.

I have a Skywatcher EQM35 Pro mount, with Synscan V4 Controller, this is what I usually do.

1.- Put mount aligned to north

2.- Park mount

3.- Check on app polaris location and put int in the polarscope finder with AZ/ALT Fine adjustment knobs.

4.- Put OTA, eyepieces and balance everything

5.- Put polaris again in the right spot in case I moved something 

6.- Turn on handcontroller, set time and do 2 or 3 star alignment.

First star sometimes is not in the FOV, but 2nd or 3rd are usually centered or at least in the FOV, mount has been accurate to find pretty much all of the objects I want in the FOV of the EP, but when I try with Planets or the Moon, the objects does not even appear in the FOV of the Finderscope.

I'm guessing it may be related to observation site, time  or date settings.

I'm using SynsCan init 2.1 to put these values, observation site is Ok (103° 45' W , 19° 20' N) and I'm not making mistakes of confusing W and N, date is also ok (with the right format) for time I'm not sure, geographically I know that i'm in time zone -6 and I have Daylightsaving by this time of the year so I'm setting -6 and DaylightSaving=Yes.

Am I making some mistake? Is this behavior expected in this mount?

By the way, even tho I'm in 19° N If I set altitude to 19 I do not see polaris, according to the mount i'm somewhere between 21-23, could this be the reason?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20200529-WA0024.jpg

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

In response to the 2 apparent questions:

Planets are not stationary as the stars etc are. They basically move and their position has to be calculated, it is not part of a lookup table as are stars, nebula, clusters and whatever other "stationary" objects. Worse is that for part of the time we see them they move "backwards" - retrograde.

Unsure of the present apparent motion of whatever planet you were trying for, however if we are in the retrograde stage I do not expect the limited software to be that good at determining their precise position.

You may have better success with finding the planets precise daily RA and Dec for the day and entering that as a custom object. Hopefully that would account for any odd movement.

If running on Wifi and Skysafari that may have taken the apparent positions into account. I would half suspect that the standard handset has insufficent processor and memory to accomplish it well.

The "19" degree is either of 2:

The circular dial was glued on 2 degrees wrong, fairly good chance.

The mount is not level by 2 degrees - in effect the mount is sat at an angle of -2 degrees so to point at 19 you are having to add in the additional 2. Making 21.

Since 2 degrees is quite small it may well be the dial. Keep saying we talk of these as if high precision, they are mass produced by what is cheap labour in China. Not unfortunately lovingly crafted with hours of painstaking work by a high precision engineer.

Maybe have a search for Orbit of Planet and see if it is in retrograde.

• carlosm likes this

#3 carlosm

carlosm

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: México

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

In response to the 2 apparent questions:

Planets are not stationary as the stars etc are. They basically move and their position has to be calculated, it is not part of a lookup table as are stars, nebula, clusters and whatever other "stationary" objects. Worse is that for part of the time we see them they move "backwards" - retrograde.

Unsure of the present apparent motion of whatever planet you were trying for, however if we are in the retrograde stage I do not expect the limited software to be that good at determining their precise position.

You may have better success with finding the planets precise daily RA and Dec for the day and entering that as a custom object. Hopefully that would account for any odd movement.

If running on Wifi and Skysafari that may have taken the apparent positions into account. I would half suspect that the standard handset has insufficent processor and memory to accomplish it well.

The "19" degree is either of 2:

The circular dial was glued on 2 degrees wrong, fairly good chance.

The mount is not level by 2 degrees - in effect the mount is sat at an angle of -2 degrees so to point at 19 you are having to add in the additional 2. Making 21.

Since 2 degrees is quite small it may well be the dial. Keep saying we talk of these as if high precision, they are mass produced by what is cheap labour in China. Not unfortunately lovingly crafted with hours of painstaking work by a high precision engineer.

Maybe have a search for Orbit of Planet and see if it is in retrograde.

I tried to look for Jupiter and the Moon, as this is the first time I use a GoTo mount I'm still getting used to their cappabilities and just wanted to know if something was wrong with the mount as it is brand new lol.gif

Then, I'm guessing that the dial has this 2 degrees offset because the mount is level.

Thank you for your answer bow.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics