•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The vintage binocular discussion thread.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
885 replies to this topic

#876 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Just picked these up today at an antique shop in NC. My research shows it's WWI era. I think they are 6x40. They are very sharp with excellent color correction (at least with the daytime test) but the field of view is very narrow, about 3.5º it looks like. There's quite a bit of barrel distortion at the edge, but there's plenty of sharp undistorted image in the center. Eye relief is very long. You can focus down to about 10 feet but I would imagine any soldier would have them constantly focused near infinity.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3320698-Emil Busch A G Rathenow 003cn.jpg

#877 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

The front view:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3320700-Emil Busch A G Rathenow 004cn.jpg

#878 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Emil Busch died in 1888, according to an article I pulled up on the web. They got their optical glass from Zeiss, and in fact in 1927 Zeiss took over the company. From the article: "A cartel between the companies existed. The company then had larger buildings with better working rooms, including bathing rooms and a first aid station, but still a lot of home-workers. In 1877 Emil Busch and Eduard Duncker founded a support foundation for Busch workers. They made provisions for the case when the company should be closed one day. Then a good part of its money should be spent for social and educational purposes." It looks like E Busch was better known for cameras and camera lenses.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3320702-Emil Busch A G Rathenow 008cn.jpg

#879 Bensi

Bensi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

Emil Busch and his company has had a fundamental importance in the history of optics (and optical) in Germany in the late 880 and early 900.
Was a firm specializing in microscopes, binoculars and telescopes.
Carl Paul Goerz also began working as an apprentice in the factory Busch for 10 years and then became his dealer in Europe, before creating his company staff.
I too have a nice 6x39 binoculars Busch mod. Fernglas08 1914 sn.6093 ... but not in the best paint your binoculars, but is optically excellent

I send a photo with the
my binoculars with three wooden stakes and barbed wire original, taken on the trenches of the Italo-Austrian 1WW.

Bye

Attached Thumbnails

• 3321484-Filo spinato e Fernglas08 Busch.JPG

#880 Bensi

Bensi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:21 AM

The brand of the company Busch ....

Attached Thumbnails

• 3321491-Emil busch fabrikate.jpg

#881 Bensi

Bensi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Yesterday I reached a small but nice Unipont Goerz 3x30 binoculars (opera) with SN 633904 (years 1924).
It'is different from other opera glasses, because the focus is internal, and the binoculars are always the same size. Missing purse, but will not be 'difficult to find one suitable.
I have compared, in the picture attached, the oldest and largest Trieder Goerz binoculars 12x20 (year 1897) of my property, with the younger brother of 1924.
Even if you have the lens inside a little blurry, the comments are very, very good.
More photos here:
http://quasar.teoth....s.php?album=129

Attached Thumbnails

• 3321700-goerz_unipont_1924_a_confronto_con_12x20_Trieder_2 rid.jpg

#882 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Marco Bensi, thank you for this extra information about my new binoculars. I did not know anything about them when I purchased them other than they looked in very good shape. The optics are excellent, last night on the Moon just a few days past full, I saw no false color in the image. Very sharp.

Marco, do you think binoculars like these were issued to all foot soldiers, or just certain ones?

#883 Bensi

Bensi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

The model Fernglas08 had precise specifications imposed by the Department of the Emperor of Austria.
Many companies, famous, was built almost identical.
Including, Leitz, Goerz, Zeiss and Busch.
Was supplied with the binoculars Infantry.
As you can see in this photo cropping.
Note the botton flap to lock the split binoculars.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3322423-Fernglas08 su divisa.jpg

#884 Bensi

Bensi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Could you help me understand what model of binoculars Hensoldt is this?
Written by the Hensoldt and Wetzlar in italic characters, with no other indications, I think this is a very old model.

Between 1897 and 1902.

In the file of Peter Abrahams:
http://www.europa.com/ ~ telscope / hensoldt.xls

Magnification could range from 6x - 7x - 8x ... but someone has already seen?

Thanks for your help.

PHOTO REMOVED
you may post photos that you own. You may not post photos that other people own without their written permission. That permission must be posted along with the photo. You may not post photos that you take from other internet websites without the permission of the owner.
edz

Sorry...but this binocular it's mine from yesterday !
As I should arrive in 10 days, I had anticipated a picture from the seller to show it.

You're right and I apologize for not having explained.

Least put the link ...
http://www.quicktest...C-803-163-b.jpg

Bye

#885 KBK

KBK

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

This is the thread that dragged me into bino fever..so I will be putting my recent acquisitions up here soon. All six of them! Hanimex 8x40 widefield (9.5), selsi military rubberized 10x50, 10x50 'le gran' 10x50, asahi pentax 7x50, tasco 400's, mason 10x50, yashica 7x50..and a few more I think. Whoops, thats more than 6. I better slow down. All appear to be Japan origin, with decent optics. I will be stripping and rebuilding all of them and optimizing the innards for maximum contrast. oh yea.. A set of the Kronos 26x70, but that would barely (prolly not) qualify for/as vintage-as they are still available. A Separate thread for that puppy.

#886 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

The model Fernglas08 had precise specifications imposed by the Department of the Emperor of Austria.
Many companies, famous, was built almost identical.
Including, Leitz, Goerz, Zeiss and Busch.
Was supplied with the binoculars Infantry.
As you can see in this photo cropping.
Note the botton flap to lock the split binoculars.

Marco, thanks for the reply, and the photo. That's an interesting way to secure the binoculars to the uniform.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics