•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can’t remove 5mm spacer from mod 3 c

NV
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:09 PM

Here’s a photo
https://imgur.com/a/vHbnTlm

I’ve used a yoga mat to try to grip the front and rubber bands. No success. Any tips?

#2 futuneral

futuneral

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

try using a leather belt. loop it around the spacer and use the lose ends as a lever.

Sort of like this https://www.youtube....?v=uMXScPwh9Y0 

but you won't be able to use the buckle, so you'll have to hold both ends really tight.

p.s. if no belt, or your belt is too wide, you can use some rope in a similar fashion - loop it around the spacer (a few loops) and then pull on one end without letting the other one go (you'll figure out which one to pull)

Edited by futuneral, 29 May 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#3 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:03 PM

I have a strap wrench - similar to leather belt mentioned above — it’s small, strap made of a thick rubber and I use it to remove / clean the small (very small) jets in hot tub. 

Or, if you have a filter wrench - if One of these fit

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fwrn.htm

how about a towel and gently use type of wrench.

#4 slepage

slepage

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:10 PM

This works like a charm for me every time.  Screw in another adapter/component into the open end of your spacer.  Make sure what ever you screw in is long enough or can provide a good grip.  Then use electrical tape to bind the two pieces after they are screwed together.  Wrap it several times nice and tight.  Now you have a much better grip and you should be able to unscrew it.  This way you don't have to worry about mucking up the stuck adapter.

Steve

• futuneral likes this

#5 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:40 PM

I tried the tape method using gaffer tape. The test is recorded here. 3 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/T6mkiUZ-Tsg

It did not succeed. Is gaffer a worthy option?

#6 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:02 PM

Ok I figured it out. I used a wrench with little teeth which could grip the jagged edge of the ring. See this pic

https://imgur.com/a/MYcsAOC

I tried electrical tape around both and also a strap wrench and neither worked.

#7 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Good. I suggested a towel with wrench to protect spacer surface... as long as it’s off. 

Note: if you find this sort of thing starts to happen, Permatex makes a tube of Nickel Anti-Seize lubricant. It’s great stuff but wear gloves, use toothpick to apply and spread. Don’t let it get on anything except threads - and only a little is needed.

• joelin likes this

#8 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

good idea to get the anti-seize lubricant...ill do that

theres been numerous observing trips where some plan of mine got scrubbed (usually to switch setups from wide to narrow or from visual to photography, etc) because of some small pieces that I couldn't unscrew....typically spacers of the 5mm sort with smooth exteriors...

and its also usually cold outside when i have to unscrew and my hands are numb

so hopefully this makes it easier to remove those parts 

#9 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

Joe, glad you got it off; this is a really common problem.  It is very easy to over tighten the C-mount adapters, especially when adding a wider lens or 2" adapter; and aluminum is one of the easiest metals to gaul or bind.  Anodizing helps harden its surface, but adding a drop of Teflon lubricant to a Q-tip (almost any dry lubricant in a liquid carrier will work), then applying that to the threads and letting it dry will help. This is a preventative measure, like the anti-seizing solution.

On many of my T2 adapters, I cut a short length of bicycle inner tube to put on the outside of the adapter like in the photo below... and I just leave it there.  It offers a better (less slippery) grip for separating the adapters.  I actually carry a 1/2" x 6" strip of bicycle tire tube in my astro tote with all my miscellaneous stuff, just in case I cannot get a grip on one of my very smooth, slippery, anodized adapters.   

IMG_7644.jpg

If necessary, then sliding jaw pliers (like below) can be used without damaging the anodized surface.  I have used soft leather strips around adapters in the past, using the pliers to loosen them, but the rubber band surface grips much better with the pliers.  

IMG_7645.jpg

Edited by GeezerGazer, 30 May 2020 - 03:43 PM.

• joelin likes this

#10 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

What thread material do you have? If different, there is a chance to try with temperature.
For example, I had Delrin inside an aluminum tube. I cooled the part and took out the Delrin. If vice versa, you can heat it (by pulling out the electronics). If the same material, the last chance is machining.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics