•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8-26 Zoom to bino nose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uhoh

uhoh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

Well, i supposed sooner or later i'd have say something.. I'm new to the hobby and purchased my first scope, a Evo 6 and wedged it about 4 months ago. Then, a couple months ago i came across a deal on a couple of barely used 8" scopes.. a wedged Evo 8 w/starsense and an LX200gps acf w/feathertouch. I had already figured that at 63 and failing eyesight, bino's were going to be a necessity. I located 4 microscopes locally for $35, 3 Zeiss and an Amscope of which 2 had mirror and block prism and 2 full prism. So when CV-19 Genie was uncorked and we swapped domains, i had a lot of time for guitar and telescope projects. After seeing some bino mods this forum, i cobbled together 4 pair using just a small drill press and chop saw. I had picked up a piece of 1-1/4 x .035 wall 6061 tubing for the 30mm Zeiss ep's i had been collecting and it made for a nice sleeve with a little brake cylinder hone. I can hardly believe the views one can achieve, especially with the Zeiss mirror/prism bino's paired w/ E-PL 10x/25 ep's, and how EASY they are to see through.. Ok.. enough already.. I really do have a question. What type of lenses/ep's would i need if i thread an 8-26 zoom to the nose of the bino..? 

#2 uhoh

uhoh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:48 AM

20200529_182823.jpg This is what i am wondering about optically..

#3 uhoh

uhoh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:56 AM

Guess i'll give it a look in this configuration with some different eyepieces when i get back home..

#4 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:16 AM

I doubt if it will be satisfactory, you would be effectively looking at an eyepiece with an eyepiece.  No harm in giving it a go!  

#5 uhoh

uhoh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

I'm convinced that there is simple solution to achieving proper focus with this "train"..? Whether it's some kind of corrector at the exit pupil..? I know i am as green as they come, but having to adjust 2 big clunky zoom's cantilevered off the end of my bino's seems like a Silly Billy approach to aio setup.. It seems to me that have the zoom in front, not only eliminates the need to adjust the mag of each ep, but lends itself to better optical development w/o the restriction of ipd. And i would rather pay twice the money for half the lenses in this case. Personally, i can't believe there isn't a motorized, gas filled giant zoom on the shelf waiting for my Visa number. Who knows.. someone may be writing drive files for the focus motor as i write. i left the 23.2 bore intact on this mod as the mirrors are just under 23mm, and have a bunch of glass and ep elements from the 4 dissected microscopes to play around with. If anyone can tell me why i shouldn't be wasting my time with this notion, or explain why it takes me an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes, i'll welcome your input..  Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics