•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

40 years old Kenko Skycore M115R Telescope

equipment beginner
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ishihara

Ishihara

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:27 AM

Recently I've got into astronomy and astrophotography and realized how expensive the field is, so i've been looking for some used parts to start the hobby. Basically I am a complete newbie and know zero about the field so just its clear.
Today I saw the Kenko Skycore M115R "Newtonian?" Telescope in the second-hand store near me, its really cheap and seems to be complete with the equatorial mount and finder, but it is a 40 year old telescope so I'm not sure if its worth it.
Also just for curiosity I pointed my smartphone light into the mirror and looked in the eyepiece and saw really weird spots, its totally covered with what it seems to be mold or moisture of some sort. Also I tried moving the mount into a specific orientation and the screws couldn't hold the telescope weight for some reason.
So the question is, is it worth it? Its 5400 yen, about 50 american dollars, i'm hoping i'm able to fix it by my own but as I stated i am an absolute beginner.

I searched a bit online and I got some info about it, it's in japanese so the translation might be a little wonky. 

"Aperture 115 mm, focal length 920 mm, aperture ratio 8

Finder diameter 30 mm, magnification 6 times

The focus adjustment of the viewfinder is a split type

The equatorial mount has a structure in which the German system of the RA system (polar axis) does not extend to the south side, so it can also be used as a tilt mount

It has an azimuth scale. It is a type that allows easy orientation adjustment even after assembly"

3ed88c3b6c538988a906e84c738437ec.jpg

I just signed up in the forum to ask about this telescope because as its sitting in a second hand store it might be gone quick so if its worth it I'd go pick it up, i'm sorry if I miss placed the topic or something else. Thank you in advance anyway! 

Edited by Ishihara, 31 May 2020 - 02:49 AM.

• deepwoods1 and Bomber Bob like this

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

A quick google search shows that there is a lot of discussion about this scope. For $50 I would buy it.  It can be used to learn about telescope repair.  As for starting out, I would get a small refractor on a stable mount.

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

I'd try it for $50...

Most of these "Vixen Green" circa 2000's scopes were made by DK (Dai-ichi Kogaku Co., Ltd) Japan, and have decent optics -- though they go cheap on the eyepieces & accessories.

That EQ Mount is based on the 1960s TOWA EQ-2 that was meant for their Model 305 60mm F15 refractor, but also carried the Tasco-branded 11T 114mm F8 reflector.  It is a very basic EQ mount, and suited mainly for visual tracking (with the optional single-axis motor drive), NOT for long-exposure deep-sky photography / digital-imaging.

Just want to make sure you know what you're getting.

FYI:  I bought a ~10 year-old China-made Celestron 114mm F8 Newtonian on Goodwill -- mainly for parts.  I found its mirrors to be good quality -- not as fine as those of the 1980s Vixen Japan (Celestron-branded) C4.5 reflector, but here's a sample:

C114 - Jupiter 20170110V08X03.jpg

Not bad for a $20 scope.

• Piggyback and Ishihara like this

#4 Ishihara

Ishihara

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

I'd try it for $50...

Most of these "Vixen Green" circa 2000's scopes were made by DK (Dai-ichi Kogaku Co., Ltd) Japan, and have decent optics -- though they go cheap on the eyepieces & accessories.

That EQ Mount is based on the 1960s TOWA EQ-2 that was meant for their Model 305 60mm F15 refractor, but also carried the Tasco-branded 11T 114mm F8 reflector. It is a very basic EQ mount, and suited mainly for visual tracking (with the optional single-axis motor drive), NOT for long-exposure deep-sky photography / digital-imaging.

Just want to make sure you know what you're getting.

FYI: I bought a ~10 year-old China-made Celestron 114mm F8 Newtonian on Goodwill -- mainly for parts. I found its mirrors to be good quality -- not as fine as those of the 1980s Vixen Japan (Celestron-branded) C4.5 reflector, but here's a sample:

C114 - Jupiter 20170110V08X03.jpg

Not bad for a $20 scope.

I'll try and take a picture with my phone on the eyepiece tomorrow, I wonder if the mirror is irreparable, that would be bad and probably expensive to get a new one. btw I dont actually know if its viable to fix/clean a mirror by myself, is it something doable?

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

If you are seeing the wierd spots looking through the eyepiece that is likely dust or fungus in the eyepiece which is replaceable or cleanable.  If the mirrors look good just by eye without the eyepiece they should be OK.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 30 May 2020 - 09:48 AM.

#6 Ishihara

Ishihara

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

If you are seeing the wierd spots looking through the eyepiece that is likely dust or fungus in the eyepiece which is replaceable or cleanable.  If the mirrors look good just by eye without the eyepiece they should be OK.

Dave

I went and took some photos, overall it looks good, the mirror and the eyepiece looks a bit scratched and very dusty. What's your opinion? Is it too bad or can I fix/clean it easily? pics below

Ru3qihK.jpg

lAdZXYv.jpgcXIPQW9.jpgCSDbMP1.jpg

• Bomber Bob and Piggyback like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

Based on the photo, I think the mirror will clean up nicely.

• Piggyback likes this

#8 Ishihara

Ishihara

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

Based on the photo, I think the mirror will clean up nicely.

Thanks! I bought it! Still have to buy some tools and stuff to clean the mirror but it looks good. Having trouble finding a laser collimator, amazon still have delayed shipping and all. I will update the progress as soon as I have everything fixed. 

Thanks everyone! 

• Bomber Bob and Piggyback like this

#9 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

Congrats on the new telescope.  Be sure to search on how to clean a telescope mirror.  You can cause damage if you are not careful. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:54 AM

I agree with Bob about the mirror, & Dwight about learning how to clean the primary properly! waytogo.gif

The first pikky in your Post #6 is through an ep showing dust motes & fibres etc - sort of like a microscope view but it is mainly because of a filthy ep: the whitish marks on the 2nd image where you have photographed the primary might well be removed with a good warm water & detergent bath using cotton wool balls dragged across the surface while the mirror is underwater in the bath, letting only the weight of the saturated cotton balls drag over the aluminised primary surface very lightly at first. Only very slightly more pressure once you have done this first wiping for some time, changing cotton balls regularly...making sure you do not scratch the coatings.

Of course the white patches might actually be coating degradation but by cleaning it in a detergent bath you will find out! fingerscrossed.gif (rinsed thoroughly after the detergent & water bath under slightly warm, running water followed by a distilled water rinse...) 

Let us know how it goes... wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics