•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zwo eaf question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spacedout again

Spacedout again

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

I recently received a zwo eaf and after getting everything setup I started wondering if its possible to connect the eaf USB cable to my asi533 USB slot?

The camera and focuser are both a new thing for me. Aside from setting up in the house and getting everything communicating with APT and Phd2 they're waiting for first light.

I'm just hoping to eliminate a hanging cable and maybe free up a USB slot on my laptop.

Thank you and clear skies.

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

Yup
  • Spacedout again likes this

#3 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

I connect my EAF and EFW to the USB hub built into my ASI183 camera. That's actually what it's intended for.

• Spacedout again likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Not a problem, connect away.

Unlike most of the ZWO guide cameras or the ZWO EFWs, the EAF doesn't draw power from the USB connection -- it uses the separate 12V power connection.  So it'll work with any USB connection without worrying about power draw.

#5 Spacedout again

Spacedout again

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

Yup

thanks, it makes sense but I didn't want to take a chance on a first light meltdown.

#6 Spacedout again

Spacedout again

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

I connect my EAF and EFW to the USB hub built into my ASI183 camera. That's actually what it's intended for.

thanks, i was initially under the assumption that it was for guide cam and Efw. Wrong again 😁

#7 Spacedout again

Spacedout again

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

Not a problem, connect away.
Unlike most of the ZWO guide cameras or the ZWO EFWs, the EAF doesn't draw power from the USB connection -- it uses the separate 12V power connection. So it'll work with any USB connection without worrying about power draw.

Thanks, it's too bad that they can't use the same power source. It's annoying trying to get a good balance on my cem25p with all the cables hanging even when organized. I have a talentcell battery wirh 2 short cables on the way that I can mount on the scope(hopefully) which will leave me with a single flimsy usb cable hanging.

#8 astrohamp

astrohamp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

Yes you can.

Have my EAF and an ASI120mm guide camera plugged into my ASI294mc Pro. 

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

Thanks, it's too bad that they can't use the same power source. It's annoying trying to get a good balance on my cem25p with all the cables hanging even when organized. I have a talentcell battery wirh 2 short cables on the way that I can mount on the scope(hopefully) which will leave me with a single flimsy usb cable hanging.

It is, but the motor just draws too much current to run off of limited USB power.

Cable management is always something to worry about -- you'll get it :)

#10 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

thanks, i was initially under the assumption that it was for guide cam and Efw. Wrong again

It's for two devices at your pleasure (as long as they don't have a big power draw). I connect the EFW and guide cam, as I don't have an EAF. Works great.

#11 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

Well, they can use the same (12V) power source for both of course (if it delivers enough current, that is).  I have only one cable running up, and split it close to camera/focuser to power both.

• OldManSky likes this

#12 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

I use a single 10A 12v power supply to power everything that uses 12v. I also use a cable sleeve so I have a single "umbilical" and tie it down. I really don't like or understand "hanging" cables, there's no reason to let cables dangle and move around, much less be a snagging hazzard. I certainly don't want anything wiggling around blowing in the wind either.

I use split nylon sleeving, I can tuck any cable into it at any point along it's length and don't need to redo the entire thing for every little change. I ziptie it an anchor points so it has the range of motion needed and doesn't dangle where it shouldn't.

TS130 Rig

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics