•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help! Did I wreck my Nikon sensor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kwpickett

kwpickett

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

My Nikon D5300, HA modified, had a really dirty sensor.  I bought a sensor cleaning kit and cleaned it yesterday.  I finally had good seeing last night, so I got a couple hours in on M101.  This is what came out. The only thing I did differently was to clean the sensor.  Did I mess this up terribly?  My thought is that it left some sort of smear on the sensor. Any advice on what to do (besides "Don't clean your sensor")? How can I salvage this?

Thanks so much for any help.

Attached Thumbnails

• M101 - 5-24 and 5-29-2020 lower res.jpg

#2 dusty99

dusty99

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

Maybe, but unlikely.  Sensor cleaning is a real skill.  I've cleaned full-sized sensors with the Eclipse fluid and their Ultra pads, made 1-2 passes, checked visually to ensure there is no debris, then tested a frame against a blue sky and seen spots that would later be removed by another cleaning or two (new swab each time).  I don't take astro pictures, so can't speak to what you're seeing, but you may want to try another cleaning cycle.  The pad should be moist but not dripping wet.

Edited by dusty99, 30 May 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#3 kwpickett

kwpickett

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

Thanks.  I think I may have panicked prematurely.  I stacked two nights of pictures, and when I stacked just the subs from after cleaning, it looks fine. I think there was a stacking error.

#4 Brad

Brad

Explorer 1

• Loc: Mid-West

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

You mentioned your image doesn't look right. Are you referring to the visible bayer pattern? Did you drizzle? I would take one raw image and convert to color, stretch it and see what the results are. Imageplus is real handy for this kind of testing. Good luck. 

• kwpickett likes this

#5 dmcnally

dmcnally

Vendor - Dave's Astro Shop

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:21 PM

I'd suggest using a lens brush and puffer (not compressed air) the next time you want to clean the camera.

Clear skies,

Dave

• khobar and kwpickett like this

#6 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

It looks like the moire pattern you get when doing StarRegistration with Bicubic interpolation in PixInsight. Nothing to do with the sensor, don’t worry. 

• kwpickett likes this

#7 kwpickett

kwpickett

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:34 PM

You mentioned your image doesn't look right. Are you referring to the visible bayer pattern? Did you drizzle? I would take one raw image and convert to color, stretch it and see what the results are. Imageplus is real handy for this kind of testing. Good luck. 

Yes - I can see that it is the visible bayer pattern now.  I did not drizzle.  I stacked two nights of images in DSS and got this result.  I've never seen that before, so I panicked that it was the sensor cleaning that caused it.  I just stacked last night's images, and the pattern isn't showing up.  I didn't have the framing right between the two nights, so I was stacking images that were at a 45 degree angle to each other. Do you know what would cause the bayer pattern to show up?

I do see that I had some focus and collimation issues last night.

Attached Thumbnails

• M101 - 5-29 only lower res2.jpg

#8 kwpickett

kwpickett

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'd suggest using a lens brush and puffer (not compressed air) the next time you want to clean the camera.

Clear skies,

Dave

Thanks.  I do use a brush and puffer usually.  I used a VSGO swab kit yesterday to get some spots off the sensor.  

#9 khobar

khobar

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

Clear skies,

Dave

Indeed! A loud second on this! I put bullet holes in my D5100 sensor with canned "air" because there was some kind of dirt/debris in the tube. One little squirt and blam blam blam.

Fortunately, a fellow CN member encouraged me to go ahead and do the astro modification - I had nothing to lose. Removed the hot mirror and was able to put the cam back into operation.

• dmcnally likes this

#10 dusty99

dusty99

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:23 PM

Watch out, though.  Rubber bulbs can build up a coating inside and then you'll blow it all over your sensor.  Manufacturers recommend only an approved fluid and an approved swab.

Indeed! A loud second on this! I put bullet holes in my D5100 sensor with canned "air" because there was some kind of dirt/debris in the tube. One little squirt and blam blam blam.

Fortunately, a fellow CN member encouraged me to go ahead and do the astro modification - I had nothing to lose. Removed the hot mirror and was able to put the cam back into operation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics